Daughter struggling with leaving school and the future help please

My daughter is struggling with the thought of leaving school.

she has just broke up for half term and won’t entertain the conversation of college or what is going to happen when she leaves.

i have  applied for colleges for her and arranged taster days but every time I try to talk to her about what she wants to do she shuts down and it’s devestating me as I’m so worried about the future.

i have been off work since January to care for her and don’t see a way back to work.

she was predicted 6 & 7 in. Her gcse but likely to leave with nothing

can anyone advise me or give me some hope please I’m really struggling

thank you

Parents
  • Is there a subject that she's passionate about? I have AuDH so I will frequently obsess about a particular topic/subject. Even though I hated school and the school that I went to pretty much never helped me and ignored my diagnoses (the SEND department was awful towards me), I knew that school was just as means to an end and that I would be able to study the subject that I really wanted to do in Uni. If she is in Year 11 she still has lots of time to decide if your wants to continue on in further education or go down al alternative route (I ended up changing what I wanted to do in Uni three times from Year 12 to Year 13). Schools can not have great SEND departments (to say the least!) but there is much more help elsewhere. In the university that I'll be starting in in September there is lots of DSA help (such as counselling and funding) and also a weekly group for students with Autism. I wish your daughter much success and hope that everything goes well for her Slight smile.

• Is there a subject that she's passionate about? I have AuDH so I will frequently obsess about a particular topic/subject. Even though I hated school and the school that I went to pretty much never helped me and ignored my diagnoses (the SEND department was awful towards me), I knew that school was just as means to an end and that I would be able to study the subject that I really wanted to do in Uni. If she is in Year 11 she still has lots of time to decide if your wants to continue on in further education or go down al alternative route (I ended up changing what I wanted to do in Uni three times from Year 12 to Year 13). Schools can not have great SEND departments (to say the least!) but there is much more help elsewhere. In the university that I'll be starting in in September there is lots of DSA help (such as counselling and funding) and also a weekly group for students with Autism. I wish your daughter much success and hope that everything goes well for her Slight smile.

Children
No Data