Making myself heard

I really need some help, when I'm stress or out and about I really struggle to project my voice, the more stressed I am the harder it gets until I reach the point that I can't actually make any sound at all. I'm finding that because I can't make myself heard Which just adds to my stress I’m wondering is there a device I can use that would help me navigate my way around ie Saying words like excuse me, can you help any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you.

• It sounds like you’re thinking of an AAC (augmentative and alternative communication) device. This website has an overview here: https://www.autism.org.uk/advice-and-guidance/professional-practice/aug-alt-comm

Depending on how often you’d be likely to use it, familiarity, finances, and situations where you plan to use it, the type of AAC you look at will vary. If you only need one phrase at a time and have a smartphone you find easy to use, you could make a voice recording of you saying those phrases and use them when needed. There are also some aac apps for smartphones/tablets but I’ll let someone with more experience of those give specific recommendations!

Sometimes I find if I’m not focussing on forming the ‘right word’ and just make the sound (but without opening your mouth, sort of like humming but with the tonality of the word/phrase you’re trying to say) that can make it easier to both form the word and is often sufficient by itself for situations like being in the supermarket and needing to get past someone.