Tirbes, are you tribal?

Following on from another thread we were discussing tribes and how people affiliate themselves with certain groups and if as Autistic people we view things as tribally as NT's?

I've noticed that a lot of people like to be part of a group or team and can be very anti those of us who arn't.

Do you think Autistic people are tribal?

What tribes or not do you feel you belong to or would like to belong to?

What stops you from being part of a tribe?

|For me I'm not really a part of any tribe, partly because I don't want to give up my identity, individuality or authenticity and it seems to me that to be part of a tribe you have to be at least willing to give up any or all of those. Partly it's because like Groucho Marx, I wouldn't want to be part of any club that would have someone like me as a member. I've been on the edges of various tribes over the years, I've never been fully part of one for many reasons, age, social class, economic reasons, religious reasons all sorts, but the odd thing is that I'm often sort of chosen as a leader. Maybe it me and my big gob again, never fearing to stand where angels fear to tread, (or maybe I just don't see the warning signs), speaking truth to power because it never occurs to me thats what I'm doing, being able to put up a good reason or excuse for doing or not doing something. I think someone like me must be hell for people who like to see themselves as leaders because I think I was born with an anarchy gene. I've got into all sort of touble over the years and I rarely know what it is I'm supposed to have done.

Parents Reply Children
No Data