High Functioning

Is What does this actally mean in practice, not the dictionary definition, but for those of us so labelled? Although no ones ever told me I'm high functioning, I guess I am.

Is it a helpful term or unhelpful?

Does it express our experiences properly or reflect away from them?

Is this a term more helpful to NT's than us?

Personally I find the term a bit insulting as well as divisive and dismissive.

Parents
  • As far as I am aware I don't mask. Not consciously,certainly. If you can mask you're more likely to be seen as 'socially acceptable' in  comparison to someone like myself . From very many posts I've read though that 'social acceptability ' can come at a heavy price.

The more I read posts here the more I feel alienated and out of sync. Perhaps it's because of the additional schizoaffective diagnosis. I'm not severely disabled re the autism, not level 3. On the other hand I'm not a high achieving, in spite of the autism, person. I'm somewhere in that vast centre that, comparatively speaking, tends to get ignored.  

I seldom see the term 'adaptive functioning' mentioned here. Adaptive functioning often being at a level significantly lower than would reasonably  be expected given how intelligent a person is. That's a major area where a person  can be intellectually high functioning, and yet still need a substantial degree of support.

• As far as I am aware I don't mask. Not consciously,certainly. If you can mask you're more likely to be seen as 'socially acceptable' in  comparison to someone like myself . From very many posts I've read though that 'social acceptability ' can come at a heavy price.

The more I read posts here the more I feel alienated and out of sync. Perhaps it's because of the additional schizoaffective diagnosis. I'm not severely disabled re the autism, not level 3. On the other hand I'm not a high achieving, in spite of the autism, person. I'm somewhere in that vast centre that, comparatively speaking, tends to get ignored.  

I seldom see the term 'adaptive functioning' mentioned here. Adaptive functioning often being at a level significantly lower than would reasonably  be expected given how intelligent a person is. That's a major area where a person  can be intellectually high functioning, and yet still need a substantial degree of support.

Children
No Data