Elections and politics

Is anyone else interested? I'm not party political, because I find to much that is disagreeable about the various parties, for every plus point theres an equal minus one.

I realise this might be contravercial to some, is politics a taboo subject on here?

What autism friendly policies would you like to see parties take up?

Parents
  • I'm interested and quite politically active in private, but I don't talk to anyone about it not even in online forums or the like since it seems to always end in chaos and I feel like I have to restrict myself on my knowledge and information as to not come across too much especially since I deep dive into data/fact checking and digging stuff like that out upsets folk. Kinda similar to the usual self censorship I'd do when I'm deeper into something than everyone else so I don't stand out, pretending to be casually interested or nodding and agreeing when I have an info-dump sitting in my brain wanting to come out.

• WO, I get that too, I rarely talk about it especially on online forums, I've had a fair bit of abuse for my political views and I wouldn't say I'm that radical, I'm just not of the politial right, people always assume, that because I'm not a Tory I must support Labour and I don't, I'm non-aligned. Not getting all my political information from either you-tube or other social media seems to make me a target for conspiracy theorists too.

• Not getting all my political information from either you-tube or other social media seems to make me a target for conspiracy theorists too.

Funny. I do the same, and get called a conspiracy theorist for it! 

Particularly during Covid...

And when you are our age teh amount of time social media has been around comapred to how long we have lived, means that all of us got all our political views or actual knowledge from before the internet came about.

What has been different for me, is that since the internet, those of us who are capable of holding a few thoughts of our own, or (even worse) weilding the tool of "critical thinking", are no longer an isolated and powerless minority.

There's an WW2 Bomber Command saying that fits very aptly, particalarly nowadays: "If you are taking flak then you are over the target".

Those of us with non-standard / /utilitarian politics also live by teh mantra: "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."

I must admit I don't always win, but given that I can't argue my way out of a paper bag, and will not knowingly lie to win my point PLUS I'm usually fighting the best psychologially based propaganda that money can buy, yet even then simply knowing and being able to weild the truth can carry you through.

Here's two ladies who have achieved enough in life to be allowed to address governements telling a truth that everyone has been taught to deny.

T/W some people might find this particular truth very unpalatable, triggering even, (and it gets way worse if you really dig into it) but  it's actually a fair representation of what the majority have been allowing to happen because they chose to believe the liars (and the labels they try to attach to tellers of truith) and ignore reality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2oKhAb1BxI

https://www.bitchute.com/video/WV9olpK31acS/

Now this particular small slice of what's really going on in "politics" is real "survival of the fittest" stuff, actually about physical survival, not just people saying hurtful things.

Being on the dodo side of this particular struggle for survival, I used to find it all frustrating and terribly worrying, and I still get tempted to hate on people or at least despise their apparent stupidity and ignorance. But what good does that do?

What annoys me more than other people, is my own inability to provide complete solutions! I've been working since 2001 (The peak of my concern) to whomp up a better way of doing "politics" here in the U.K. but I've come to the conclusiion that for me, working alone it's an impossible task.

People think that "conspiracy theory" is like a club that people join that cuts them off from reality, but it's worse than that for many people. It's more like your reality gets a lot bigger and harder to deal with, and you need to compare notes with people, to find a bit of common ground, test your thinking as it were, and they bite your effing heqad off!! Then if you actually win your point, and they have to face an ugly truth, some of them will never listen to anything you say again. They see you as "toxic" and best avoided.

Autists will recognise that mechanism when applied to them "socially" of course...

• Journalistic integrity was once a real thing I am told. 

I'm not sure it ever was. Look how ghastly the Sun was in the 1980's, telling blatant lies about Hillsborough on its front page. Even as far back as Victorian days news was manipulated.

Every piece of news we hear, whether through papers, TV, Radio, internet, Twitter, YouTube etc is framed by the perspective and motives of the person or people communicating it to us. It staggers me how many people dont seem to see this basic fact 

• Journalistic integrity was once a real thing I am told. 

I'm not sure it ever was. Look how ghastly the Sun was in the 1980's, telling blatant lies about Hillsborough on its front page. Even as far back as Victorian days news was manipulated.

Every piece of news we hear, whether through papers, TV, Radio, internet, Twitter, YouTube etc is framed by the perspective and motives of the person or people communicating it to us. It staggers me how many people dont seem to see this basic fact 

Children
No Data