Elections and politics

Is anyone else interested? I'm not party political, because I find to much that is disagreeable about the various parties, for every plus point theres an equal minus one.

I realise this might be contravercial to some, is politics a taboo subject on here?

What autism friendly policies would you like to see parties take up?

Parents
  • Switzerland has the best idea. They dont really have a Prime Minister, they have a panel of people from a mixture of the political parties who decide things by consensus and all of them take turns to be Prime Minister. That way decisions are actually made with thought and consideration and for the good of the country rather than knee jerk reactions that they hope will win them votes and headlines or score points over the opposition like it is here. 

In addition the Swiss have referundums over almost everything, giving the people the chance to decide what decisions are made for the country and therefore making the nation truly democratic. They even had a refurendum over whether to have a Covid lockdown. 

There are many reasons Id like to live in Switzerland, it is ordered and logical and calm for one, but this is another one 

• that sounds good. true democracy...

democracy and voting on every single policy, i said we need this so that they countries laws are each the peoples fault and choosing and they dont need to complain or riot they just need to vote for whatever law they want to be. if the majority vote a way some cry babies dont like then instead of whining or rioting which puts people off their thing anyway, they need to convince everyone their thing they want is good enough for everyone else to vote in.

• In one way, given the many harsh lessons taught to us during Covid, I honestly feel and believe that the only way out of our current situation is to reject “progress” and as far as possible, is to return in as many ways as possible to traditional religious based social and moral values, reflecting the fact that our society was built on Christian values and principles - I know that this view is unpopular in today’s modern and secular society, but I honestly believe that we are rapidly reaching a point where we will have no other option but to do so and if we don’t do so now while we have the chance, when we are eventually forced to do so later on, that path will be far harsher and much more painful for us and future generations, with far more radical and drastic measures needing to be taken to do so later on, as time is not on our side - the stakes of failure to do so could not be higher at this point 

• In one way, given the many harsh lessons taught to us during Covid, I honestly feel and believe that the only way out of our current situation is to reject “progress” and as far as possible, is to return in as many ways as possible to traditional religious based social and moral values, reflecting the fact that our society was built on Christian values and principles - I know that this view is unpopular in today’s modern and secular society, but I honestly believe that we are rapidly reaching a point where we will have no other option but to do so and if we don’t do so now while we have the chance, when we are eventually forced to do so later on, that path will be far harsher and much more painful for us and future generations, with far more radical and drastic measures needing to be taken to do so later on, as time is not on our side - the stakes of failure to do so could not be higher at this point 

Children
  • It’s come to light that this has been done by people who have infiltrated the Catholic Church in order to discredit and undermine its teaching Athority and in many cases, these have been found to be fabricated - one such example of this has been Catherine Corless of the Tuam Babies scandal - both when the allegations first came to the surface and when new evidence subsequently came to light disproving the original allegations, I was equally shocked and horrified 

• "Let he who is wthout sin cast the first stone".

"Before taking the speck out of your brothers eye, it is best remove the plank from your own".

Are you referring to my criticism of the Catholic Church here?

I dearly hope you aren't as I definitely do not have a plank in my eye in comparison to the sins of that institution + that is an insult.

If I may observe Debbie..

No, perhaps I'm best keeping my observations about how people conduct themselves here to myself

How do you consider I conduct myself here?

It's much nicer to not insinuate but if you have a criticism to level at me, actually say what that is.

• we are in the "Best Individual Effort" part

I think this is a sound observation.....we need to be doing the best we can muster....because the collective of result of what we've tried "recently" has really put us ALL in some VERY uncomfortable territory !!

• "Let he who is wthout sin cast the first stone".

"Before taking the speck out of your brothers eye, it is best remove the plank from your own".

If I may observe Debbie..

No, perhaps I'm best keeping my observations about how people conduct themselves here to myself, and focussing on the cat pictures. 

Incidentally, given that rather lush cat photo you posted in a thread somewhere else, (presumably your own pussycat)  how come you've never participated in my cat pictures thread?  

• Although I believe I know where you are coming from and we see the same things happening out there, that's not the way Jesus would have played it or would have wanted his disciples to believe.

Don't fall into the same moral trap that Mr Putin has, where he claims to be an "orthodox Christian" and fighting the good fight, whilst the death toll in Ukraine keeps rising.. 

Christianity gets a bad rap PRECISELY because of inquisitions and crusades. 

Inquisitions and crusades hapen when peoeple get their Chrisiianity form listening to the men in big hats, rather than going and reading a single gospel for themselves and paying heed to what the Christ in Christianity actually DID and TAUGHT HIMSELF. 

Irish In ManchesterUK, although I've used caps for emphasis and I am making an argument with your proposed strategy, I'm pretty sure we have passed the point where it's possible to ORGANISE strong "Christian" resisitance to the works of satan.

FWIW, I've come to believe we are in the "Best Individual Effort" part where we get tested on whether we got enough of the message Jesus came to impart or not. 

• Don't forget the Magdalen Laundries either, all those poor babies buried in septic tanks and the iike and their mothers made to work like slaves too.

• The only antidote to this is if real patriots in the milltary and ex-milltary, police and ex-police, band together and form a Catholic or Christian Millita and Milltary Police, based on the Crusades and the Inqusition and who are prepared to launch a milltary coup in defence of Christianity 

I've said this before but thank goodness these are just empty words and you have zero power. 

It's religious zealots like you with actual power who have caused much of the suffering in the world over the centuries up to the present day.

I am presently reading a novel based on fact about the Catholic church sending orphans to the Scottish Islands to work as slaves to families a few decades ago.

The Catholic Church has a terrible history of abuse especially to children and young mothers.

I dont understand how you have the gall to hold it up as an example of how to live a life.

• And you think that’s something Jesus would approve of? Wow. Just wow.

• What so you're OK with torture, burning people at the stake, forcing people to worship a god they don't believe in etc? Who exactly will you be aiming this crusade at?

• The only antidote to this is if real patriots in the milltary and ex-milltary, police and ex-police, band together and form a Catholic or Christian Millita and Milltary Police, based on the Crusades and the Inqusition and who are prepared to launch a milltary coup in defence of Christianity 

• The simple answer is the greed of the 1% - the only way to rectify this situation in the short term is to have a provisional milltary government in power (which should have happened at the start of Covid or perhaps earlier in 2019) and we are already at a situation where the government of the day will soon have no other option but to hand over government power to the Milltary in the U.K. alone involving national state of emergency, police state and martial law, but I suspect that this will happen far sooner in my native Ireland given the already very volatile and unstable situation there - already, I’m very concerned about my family’s safety in Rural Ireland at the hands of our Irish government and police even if they are totally brainwashed and indoctrinated - democracy and the democratic process has been revealed to be based on corruption and deception of all kinds in which leaders are selected not elected and where voting and trying to change an inherently corrupt system from within is totally pointless 

• In 1966 we had inch diameter copper piping everywhere, and everone literally owned a few POUNDS of copper if they "saved their change" .

Possession of metal in any form is wealth. Particualrly the metals wthat werre really common like lead coper brass etc. 

Our country systematically removed as much elemental metal from our inventory and exported it as it could, a fact I foudn out in teh nineties in a scapyard that was making a killing exporting containers of old UK built car engines to Germany. "they like our steel" I was told. 

We are as a country very poor now, and shoudl be actively sending out scavenging fleets to go and grab some surplus resources from the developing countries and import us some rw maerial for MANUFACTURING. 

IN 1980 I was 20 and the then prime minister (A woman If I recollect correctly) announced that we were going to transition from a manufacturing economy to a "service economy". At the time a Hitachi service manual cost about 25 quid but we had amstrad and sinclair a a whoel HOST of emerging high end electronics companies in the U.K. The twenty year old me said "If we don't make it, then how will we know how to "service" it? That's stupid! 

And we are actually very good at engineering (barring some spectactacualr debacles like the square windows in the DH Comet airliner which gave Dehavillands technical lead to bloody Boeing whilst we faffed about figuring out why the aerplanes kept breaking up in midair... 

The americans got their asses kicked HARD in the east by korean Mig 15 jets all powered (IIRC) by a knock off of the Rolls Royce "nene" axial flow gas turbine (jet engine!) whiich we sold them. We pioneered a lot of technologies, (But Boy did we lose the plot with motroccyles in the sixties and seventies...)

AND THAT brings in money that can pay for the foreign stuff. BUT if your stuff is the best made then really all you need to buy of Johhny Foreigner is raw materiasl and you sell them product. AND because we INVENTED IT, "service".

Other nations have better engineers, but here in England we are (or were) innovators in engineering, law, social practice, social health care, it's a long list of things that the world now uses and benefits from were pinoneered or invented HERE. Matthew Boulton and James Watt and the other guy whose name I can never remember, changed the world in arguably a GOOD way!

And their statue gave me one of my personal favourite photos in my soon to be thrown away portfolio...

The point being, that this country has fallen very, very far indeed. 

When I got here, I really, really hoped, I'd find a bunch of misfits like myself who just can't help noticing "that the emperor has no clothes". 

Then I realised, just how deluded I really can be on occasion. Reality and Truth are painful medicines sometimes for me... 

• You make important observations.....well!

• I'm not sure that we are, in actuality, a wealthy nation anymore.  All the "official" metrics categorically affirm that we are a wealthy nation........but the metrics are (perhaps) now just nonsense! 

I look, and listen, to our people, in the round.  The people CLEARLY have doubts about ourselves.  I find myself (unusually) WITH the/our people on this.  My preferred metrics for indicating wealth, or otherwise (..notably productivity) in this country, are down the toilet!

[Disambiguation = the/our people relates to our generality in this country, NOT specific sub-categories based upon culture nor wealth nor any other 

• We are wealthy in terms of fiscal numbers, but in terms of actual material or human resources we are stuffed, in a prcess that was well underway when I was a kid.

People confuse money with wealth, all the time. They also conflate status with power, and once something is a bit older it has no value. 

•  I presume that "people" find tribalism comforting and inclusive.....whereas I think it is blinkered and dangerous

I think you're right. 

There is so much, so badly wrong here now. Yet people cling to their political tribe. 

3 Questions - are things better now than in 2010? What's worse? Why? Trying to encourage people to ask questions is no easy task, when they've been encouraged to take no interest in politics for so long - even though it affects all of our lives. 

I could go on at length, being painfully aware of how much trouble we're in. But just one thing, for now.

Food Poverty. 11m people, including 3m children. Government refuses to allow UN Inspector on food poverty to visit until after the election. Last visit, the UK was condemned for instructing the DWP to create a virtual workhouse, based on the Victorian model. We know it as Universal Credit, although the premise is clearly up for expansion at the moment.

The idea of a new workhouse was suggested in Britannia Unchained, I believe, which is some time ago now.

Why are we in food poverty? There's a question. We're still a wealthy nation. 

Why?

• The whole Brexit referendum was a mess as was the way we left. Part of the problem was the way Cammeron decided how to frame the question and the 50-50 split. I dont' think people could know what they were voting for as the question was not nuanced enough, a 4% majority I dont' think was enough for such a major desicion. It did get very tribal, with more moderate voices on both sides being drowned out, I don't think for a minute that every Brexit voter wanted a hard brexit and I don't see how the likes of the ERG could say they did. How can people say they know what they voted for when there was no real idea's given about what sort of deal there should be or could be? I think we should of had a refereendum on the final deal with remain on the ballot. Does anyone who voted for Brexit feel they've got what they were promised?

• I agree, that is the conclusion I have come to from a lifetime of studying people. Humans want to be part of a tribe, and follow the herd. That includes politically. People define themselves as Left or Right and then frame their views and beliefs based on that. I have never understood that. I dont define myself as left or right at all. I have some views that would be considered left wing and some that would be considered right wing. I think this tribalism takes away peoples ability to make the right decisions and consider situations rationally. 

People are manipulated by their social media feeds 100%, in the same way they used to be manipulated by tabloid headlines 

• oh we are heading back to religious rule... just not christian... its going to be islamic and it cant be stopped now and anyone denying it doesnt really matter as it will happen and then they who deny today will be the right wing opposing it tommorow... while the right wing who opposed it originally will be the ones who have accepted islam by that point and given up hope a its clearly too far by that point.

• Sadly people in the UK pay to much attention to the media and frame their opinions based on what side they already support rather than evaluating the facts and then trying to come to a logical decision. I think that is our mentality as a country. I blame the tabloid media and more lately social media.

Sadly, I agree that all the evidence I have seen, supports this perspective.  I am sad that people are blind (or simply uncaring) that they are blatantly and incredibly effectively, manipulated by their "feeds."  I presume that "people" find tribalism comforting and inclusive.....whereas I think it is blinkered and dangerous.