Blue Badge

I was wondering if anyone has experience with a blue badge application for a "high functioning" adult?

I've been given the "risk in traffic" application form. And the first thing that is immediately apparent is that this is most certainly NOT "hidden disability" friendly.

The whole application process looks like it needs a major overhaul.

I get extreme anxiety and sensory overload when trying to park 2 inches away from other cars and strangers. I'll often be parking at the far reaches of the car park just to be away from other people.

Apparently I should be entitled to a blue badge. But nothing in this form suggests to me that I am.

I also need a "counter signatory" from a healthcare professional, excluding a GP of course. Because doctors are not healthcare professionals presumably. A social care or teaching professional.

I'm at a bit of a loss.

Parents
  • i think you need to be careful on this as they may then evaluate your ability to drive too based on your condition.

it does state that if autism is so bad it effects driving or concentration then they can take away your driving licence. so id approach anything in the driving sector carefully and make sure you dont make them think your driving or ability to drive is negatively effected by your condition, as they can then evaluate your suitability to have a drivers licence based on conditions effecting your driving.

• I had considered that. I would explain clearly in the application that it has nothing to do with my ability to drive. But very specifically my anxiety around parking the car in a busy car park. Which really is the whole point of a blue badge I think. 

• I had considered that. I would explain clearly in the application that it has nothing to do with my ability to drive. But very specifically my anxiety around parking the car in a busy car park. Which really is the whole point of a blue badge I think. 

Children
No Data