My social worker asked me to join a walking club

We went there yesterday and it was all retired people except for one other man who was going for the first time and also, I think, someone with mental health issues, though unlike myself, he didn't come across as Autistic.

Some of the people there were very nice, I however felt very stilted in their company, as I do generally with most people. I felt a dislike for myself because I was struggling to smile at people and think of anything to say and couldn't decide where to look or who to look at and felt awkward.

I don't think I'll go again, the main reason people go is to talk and be friendly which is what I also wanted to be a part of but I felt utterly like a fish out of water. I feel a little upset because my social worker helped set that group up and seemed convinced going there would be good for me as there would be no women I could fall in love with (his words) and he thought nobody there would pose a risk to me.

The thing I find most difficult about social clubs is I tend to want to talk about things specifically, such as what I'm interested in or have been thinking about, and others there are spontaneous and talking about, for example, a coot that was spotted nesting under a water fountain and a swan that was pecking at a dog, neither of which I found very interesting, but were both a source of amusement to others in the group. This left me feeling mean towards the others as I simply wasn't interested and also bored.

Parents
  • Well done on going, it's not an easy thing to do. You should be proud of yourself for doing it.

I was part of a walking group in 2021-2022. My MH team suggested I do it. I enjoyed the walking, it was through country fields and it felt good being in the fresh air and observing the scenery and any wildlife that was around. The downside was the other people. I have social anxiety and it was unbearable, especially as people kept talking to me and asking me questions about myself. They were all so nice and friendly but it was too much so I didn't go again either.

• That sounds similar to my experience except we were walking in a park so it was a more urban kind of walk. I suppose we both gave it a try.

Reply Children
  • Yes and that's good it was given a try. It was a new experience, and you got through it so well done great. And it isn't like you can't do it again. Maybe you'll want to again soon, if not then at least you gave it a go. For now let things settle and see what happens and how you're feeling at a later point.