Wanting to cook but anxiety holding me back

Hi, I'm new here, and hoping that this is something some of you might understand.

I'm 28 and have autism. I struggle in such a big way with seemingly normal every day things. Because of my physical health problems I'm unable to work but I want to become more independent so like doing my own banking, my parents do this for me at the moment. And I want to start learning to cook so I can look after myself as and when I need to when my parents aren't around anymore.

But there's a problem. My anxiety. It's absolutely monstrous and it affects me in so many ways, physically and mentally. I want to learn to cook but I'm so anxious about doing it for so many reasons.

I'm worried about,

• Giving myself and others food poisoning.
  • Burning myself.
  • Being a terrible cook. 
  • Food disagreeing with me and making me ill.

I know I shouldn't let my anxiety win and rule my life but I can't help it. It's got this bad that it always wins and I've had therapy and everything but nothing has helped me. 

I'm open to any suggestions and advice. Please help. I desperately want to be able to cook and enjoy the stuff I make. I've bought so many pots and pans, and cooking tools, but I haven't been able to use any of them yet.

Parents
  • I agree with the cat woman start off with the basics make cold food like a sandwich or salads then start to improve on those then try to move on to something simple like beans on toast if you burn the toast don’t worry about it. If it’s not cooked enough you won’t get food poisoning same with the beans if their still cold heat them up some more eventually you will start to feel more confident. I used to only have basic foods in the beginning like pot noodles and microwave meals now I can cook all sorts and I have been making Christmas dinners for me and my dad after my died and they couldn’t have been more perfect. 

• Ooh good shout with making toast. I can already do sandwiches, so off to a good start lol but toast is a good one to go up to. I'm hoping to do a soup tomorrow morning as my mum is going to be out most of the day so that's a great opportunity for me. 

Wow you make Christmas dinner now too? Well done that's such an amazing accomplishment. You should be so proud of yourself. I hope I'll be at that level of cooking eventually, I would really love that! 

Thanks so much for your advice here. I appreciate you taking time out to help me with this Slight smile

• Ooh good shout with making toast. I can already do sandwiches, so off to a good start lol but toast is a good one to go up to. I'm hoping to do a soup tomorrow morning as my mum is going to be out most of the day so that's a great opportunity for me. 

Wow you make Christmas dinner now too? Well done that's such an amazing accomplishment. You should be so proud of yourself. I hope I'll be at that level of cooking eventually, I would really love that! 

Thanks so much for your advice here. I appreciate you taking time out to help me with this Slight smile

Children
No Data