Wanting to cook but anxiety holding me back

Hi, I'm new here, and hoping that this is something some of you might understand.

I'm 28 and have autism. I struggle in such a big way with seemingly normal every day things. Because of my physical health problems I'm unable to work but I want to become more independent so like doing my own banking, my parents do this for me at the moment. And I want to start learning to cook so I can look after myself as and when I need to when my parents aren't around anymore.

But there's a problem. My anxiety. It's absolutely monstrous and it affects me in so many ways, physically and mentally. I want to learn to cook but I'm so anxious about doing it for so many reasons.

I'm worried about,

• Giving myself and others food poisoning.
  • Burning myself.
  • Being a terrible cook. 
  • Food disagreeing with me and making me ill.

I know I shouldn't let my anxiety win and rule my life but I can't help it. It's got this bad that it always wins and I've had therapy and everything but nothing has helped me. 

I'm open to any suggestions and advice. Please help. I desperately want to be able to cook and enjoy the stuff I make. I've bought so many pots and pans, and cooking tools, but I haven't been able to use any of them yet.

Parents
  • Welcome! Do you feel like there's someone who could help you, step by step? It might be more of use to you than, say, just reading or watching something.

I'm a similar age to you and don't really cook either for similar reasons. 

• Possibly my mum but she is super protective of me which I do appreciate but she can be a little overprotective and it's awkward. I want to try more things on my own but I don't want to come across as ungrateful for her help and seem rude. 

I thought maybe watching something like on YouTube but I'm not great at doing more than one thing at a time. But I'm hoping it's something I might be able to adapt to. 

I'm a similar age to you and don't really cook either for similar reasons. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one Relaxed

• It's a difficult balance. I hope you'll be able to find what works for you.

• That's really positive. I think it's also an executive dysfunction thing. 

• Thank you and when the time comes I hope you can as well. Just remember to go at your own pace and do what you feel. I'm taking this approach now and I am much happier and feeling less pressured.

• Thank you and when the time comes I hope you can as well. Just remember to go at your own pace and do what you feel. I'm taking this approach now and I am much happier and feeling less pressured.

Children