Pets

Living on your own and considering getting a pet is a big decision. While it comes with responsibilities, many people find that having a pet fulfills their need for connection. Have any of you found getting a pet to be helpful in this regard?

Parents
  • I found getting a dog extremely helpful. I suffer from depression and anxiety and at first I wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. I didn't want to end up neglecting my pet and giving up on it. I often suffer from little motivation and was worried I would be the same with my dog. 

My GP and med team all agreed a dog would benefit me both mentally and physically so I went ahead with it and I'm so glad I did. 

My dog is called Hannah. Here she is. 

She's made a huge difference to my life! I don't suffer loneliness as much anymore because I have her and can talk to her. I feel a connection which I don't get with people. I've always bonded better with animals than people though. 

Hannah helps me with my anxiety as well. I can go out with her and I don't feel nearly as terrified as I used to and I no longer get panic attacks, before I got her I used to get panic attacks every time I went out. 

I lost a close family member and was really struggling but since getting my dog I'm feeling much better, both physically and mentally.

Hannah has given me friendship and a purpose. I can't imagine life without her.

• I found getting a dog extremely helpful. I suffer from depression and anxiety and at first I wasn't sure if it was a good idea or not. I didn't want to end up neglecting my pet and giving up on it. I often suffer from little motivation and was worried I would be the same with my dog. 

My GP and med team all agreed a dog would benefit me both mentally and physically so I went ahead with it and I'm so glad I did. 

My dog is called Hannah. Here she is. 

She's made a huge difference to my life! I don't suffer loneliness as much anymore because I have her and can talk to her. I feel a connection which I don't get with people. I've always bonded better with animals than people though. 

Hannah helps me with my anxiety as well. I can go out with her and I don't feel nearly as terrified as I used to and I no longer get panic attacks, before I got her I used to get panic attacks every time I went out. 

I lost a close family member and was really struggling but since getting my dog I'm feeling much better, both physically and mentally.

Hannah has given me friendship and a purpose. I can't imagine life without her.

Children