Procastinating.. Is it because I’m autistic or lazy?

I procrastinate about everything. Why do I do this?

- At work it takes me around 3 hours to actually do something. I distract myself with anything but work.

- I struggle to do simple tasks like post a letter. 

- I’ve had a box of rubbish in the boot of my car for almost 2 years now.

Any tips?

Writing lists sometimes helps, sometimes doesn’t. Read lots of books and researched loads but not been useful.

Is this an autistic trait or does it happen to many people? 

Parents Reply Children
  • Throw a bit of chronic fatigue into the mix with Autistic Inertia and then you're really up against it!

I have something going on where even after a good nights sleep, I just don't feel refreshed / energised in the morning (still under investigation with neurologist). I like DOING things. I crave the feeling of accomplishment.
    But I struggle to get going in the mornings - usually take 60-90 minutes to get up.

When I do start doing an activity such as cleaning the house or working on the garden (something that I have done today), then I get to immersed in it. When I was working (up until earlier this year), I'd get so into what I was doing (IT stuff) that I easily spend half a day focussing on the task and not take any screen / loo / food breaks.

I guess that's Autistic Inertia?
    It's not something that I have thought about or read up on before, but will probably end up spending hours researching it now!