How to make friends

At least 2 people recently have asked about this, and I didn't get round to responding, so here goes:

Step 1: Always be open and honest with the person you're trying to make friends with.

Step 2: Give each other a detailed description of your personalities. In theory, you instantly know each other well enough to know whether you like each other then.

Step 3: Ask questions about each other. I've got into trouble before for asking too many questions; I think 3 per e-mail should be about the right number though.

It's worked 2 out of 2 times for me when I've tried this method with people I've been in touch with by private message on here. We got on so well that I made friends with each of them in less than 2 weeks! So it seems to work.

I hope that's helpful for people.

Parents
  • Nice step by step guide. I'll definitely try to remember this! I'm in my early twenties and have never had a single friend, not at school or since. I tried. I spent a lot of time trying but no one ever wanted to get to know me. When I masked I must have done it terribly because I still wasn't 'one' of them.

Half the time it feels like I'm always going to be alone and friendless. But I live in hope one day I'll encounter somebody who wants to be friends with this autistic soul.

• I can understand the struggle, it took me until I was 22/23 to form meaningful connections and even then, I made a huge mess of it because I didn't know what I was doing.

I've learnt to focus on what I need, more than what I want although there are overlaps. I both want and need someone with similar interests, similar sense of humour and conversational style etc.

• I can understand the struggle, it took me until I was 22/23 to form meaningful connections and even then, I made a huge mess of it because I didn't know what I was doing.

I've learnt to focus on what I need, more than what I want although there are overlaps. I both want and need someone with similar interests, similar sense of humour and conversational style etc.

Children