Learning to drive

I'm learning to drive and so far it's been pretty smooth sailing with only a few stressful moments where I nearly had a meltdown. My driving instructor is good though, he's a really patient guy and he's more than understanding. I'm learning in a manual Peugeot 208, I'd like one once/if I pass my test but not sure I could ever afford one. 

So far though my biggest struggle is the hazard perception part of the test. I've read up on it and it says about clicking at the right time, not too early and not too late, and as someone who can struggle with timing this is proving impossible to complete.

I walk the theory every time, no problem there but the hazard perception is beyond tough for me. I think I've clicked the developing hazard at the right time but clearly I have not. I'm not sure what to do about this. I desperately need to pass my test before too long as my dad is giving up driving and I'm hoping to secure a job and I'll need a car to get there every day. 

Other than the hazard perception I'm enjoying learning to drive. Behind the wheel is the one place where I don't really feel anxious. I'll need to try and save up for the 208, although failing that my uncle's said he's got a Vauxhall Carlton he'll give me but I'm not sure I know what that is lol so I'll try to get the 208 if I can...

If you've got any tips on the hazard perception please let me know because this is really stumping me and it's stressing me out.

• Hi, I’ve just had the same problem with my youngest son, he finally passed about two weeks ago after many attempts. He was perfect on theory but couldn’t pass the hazard part.

There are three interactive clips online you can practice with plus you can purchase others. After each clip it takes you through them and shows where you should be pressing and how the points are awarded. There are similar dvds on eBay. This is a link to the Gov website clips. Good luck.

www.safedrivingforlife.info/.../

• When I took my test, around 20 years ago, that didn't exist.

I did have to do the theory.

I'm rather disadvantaged looking at a screen as my eyesight isn't so good close up.

I found doing the online test quite stressful.

I got 8 in my 1st try and 9 is the pass with this practice test.

Is it different for the 'real' test?

Here's the one I did:

https://www.safedrivingforlife.info/free-practice-tests/hazard-perception-test/

I'm out and about today but if I think of any tips I will let you know.

The only thing I would say is the minute you see something else in the screen, don't think about it, just click.

Potentially on the road anything can become a hazard.

I also clicked when I saw 2 hazard signs.

I don't know if that's correct, but as long as you don't get penalised for incorrect clicks, I couldn't see anything to lose.

All the very best with this.