The need to be given permission to do simple things

Hi

I'm not sure the title is a good one but it's the best I could come up with.

I'm wondering if this is an autistic trait or just me and if it has a name. Sometimes, and I never know when it might happen, I feel like I shouldn't do the simplest of things until somebody gives me the permission to do it. Examples might be - not calling on my neighbours because they're not expecting it, not sending somebody a message in case they're busy, not saying hello to somebody that I know in a restaurant because they're eating. The list is pretty much endless and being added to daily.

Another problem I have is that I sometimes take instructions too literally. I doubt many will relate to this but for a telly gameshow, I was tied up and told to untie myself. I spent about 5 minutes doing just that. If they had said what they really wanted - to free myself - I'd have done it in seconds. Does this have a name?

• Maybe you need to start challenging some of that behaviour on a daily basis, send a text or whatever, if someone's busy they can get back to you later and a text isn't as intrusive as say a phonecall or a knock on the door you can build up to those thiings. I'd also suggest you talk this over with a counsellor so as you can go through it step by step and explore with a degree of safety how it feels and what it brings up.

• Yeah, maybe it is a learnt behaviour. I was born in the 70s and grew up in childrens homes where I wasn't allowed to do much for myself at all, not even make decisions. Maybe not so much autism then.

Thanks

• Did you grow up with people telling you not to do things without asking if it was OK first? I think taking things literally can be an ND thing, but people need to be clearer about what they want you to do, in a game, how are you expected to know that untying youserf isn't part of the rules as opposed to freeing yourself, I would of been confused by that instruction too.

• I do often hear "if you don't ask you don't get" but I know if I just flat out ask, I will get myself in trouble. As I have done.

It's a case by case thing. I do feel like I need someone to tell me that it's actually safe to do - it's not necessarily the rejection I fear the most, but actually just creating a huge mess.