Self-diagnosis: valid or not ?

Hello,

I'm new here because I am self-diagnosed. I wonder if that's okay? Is self-diagnosis valid?

Parents
  • Yes, welcome - I too am self-diagnosed. The GP I saw when I realised I was on the spectrum had some experience of autism, so he advised which tests to do online and asked me to send him the results. He agreed with me, but suggested that there wouldn't be much point in a formal diagnosis as it wouldn't get me any help, although he said I could request a referral at a later time if things changed and I then needed support.

My employers have been very supportive and have done their best to accommodate my needs, so I didn't need a diagnosis for that - when I expressed my thanks I was told that they didn't actually know what the legal requirements are, but it was a case of what is morally the right thing to do Slight smile

I am comfortable as a self diagnosed neurodivergent person, who feels a sense of belonging with other ND people. If you need a diagnosis to access benefits, services, or support, that's what you need to do. If you need one to help you come to terms with your own realisation, then that's fine too. But if you don't want one, trust your own judgement - only you can truly know you.

• Yes, welcome - I too am self-diagnosed. The GP I saw when I realised I was on the spectrum had some experience of autism, so he advised which tests to do online and asked me to send him the results. He agreed with me, but suggested that there wouldn't be much point in a formal diagnosis as it wouldn't get me any help, although he said I could request a referral at a later time if things changed and I then needed support.

My employers have been very supportive and have done their best to accommodate my needs, so I didn't need a diagnosis for that - when I expressed my thanks I was told that they didn't actually know what the legal requirements are, but it was a case of what is morally the right thing to do Slight smile

I am comfortable as a self diagnosed neurodivergent person, who feels a sense of belonging with other ND people. If you need a diagnosis to access benefits, services, or support, that's what you need to do. If you need one to help you come to terms with your own realisation, then that's fine too. But if you don't want one, trust your own judgement - only you can truly know you.

Children
No Data