Casualty

Was watching Casualty tonight and was taken by surprise when one of the characters (who I always thought of as autistic but it’s never been mentioned) was accused of being autistic by a manager and he gave both barrels in defence of autistic people and walked out.  Found myself tearing up in fact.

I wonder if they’re going to create an autism storyline as part of autism week.

Parents
  • Saw people talking about it on twitter, and someone posted this, which I thought was lovely:

• not sure about number 1.... giving up is quite common and given depression goes hand in hand with autism and depression has the characteristic of giving up and being a quitter number 1 is the only one on that list id have a issue with really. as it doesnt seem to fit generally.

the urge to quit or give up is so strong most dont even seemingly bother trying and end up in that situation of low functionality and never doing anything in life or progressing out of their parents. the struggle with urge to quit is real and will define your life, if you make it or function in any way it will be against a constant pressure to give up all the time and the only way you can make it or function is to fight against that urge to quit or not try. many fail that as its a hard fight.

• not sure about number 1.... giving up is quite common and given depression goes hand in hand with autism and depression has the characteristic of giving up and being a quitter number 1 is the only one on that list id have a issue with really. as it doesnt seem to fit generally.

the urge to quit or give up is so strong most dont even seemingly bother trying and end up in that situation of low functionality and never doing anything in life or progressing out of their parents. the struggle with urge to quit is real and will define your life, if you make it or function in any way it will be against a constant pressure to give up all the time and the only way you can make it or function is to fight against that urge to quit or not try. many fail that as its a hard fight.

Children
  • Maybe I’m just too stupid to know when to give up

I have often thought the same (about me, not you!) Slight smile

All the same, I can't do it, even if I've sometimes wished to. 

• I suffered a setback at work about five years ago - I was a victim of some really horrible politics, and afterwards everyone kept telling me I was so resilient but the entire experience scarred me and I’ve never really recovered from it.

I found this at the time and it really resonated with me:

• Not stupid. 

Resilient.

We are far more resilient than we give ourselves credit for.

• perhaps its a perspective thing.

i still havent quit my job despite not wanting to be there at all and being very depressed there so obviously that everyone around me is amazed im still working there and even more surprised to hear i plan on staying 20 years there for state pension eligability when not even any of them would stay 1 year more there as its miserable. but the constant fight against the urge to quit in your head, even if you dont quit, its still there and the fact its there even if you fight it and continue on makes you a quitter still, just your putting it off, fighting it. a person that doesnt give up wouldnt be fighting against it, it wouldnt be in their head to quit i feel. thered be no fight no struggle.

• Not giving up is probably my most fundamental ability.

If I have a really difficult academic, work or intellectual task I will grind away at it no matter how long it takes and that lets me solve problems others can’t.

Physically, I can keep going even when my body is utterly exhausted.

And in life, even though objectively there really is is nothing left for me and no point in me going on, I am still here. Still going. 

Maybe I’m just too stupid to know when to give up.