Later Life Diagnosis & Career Change

I have written about my work situation on other posts, so will not go into too much detail here.

Having had a number of health difficulties over the past 3 years with autism being diagnosed late last year, I no find myself out of work since March this year.

I have always worked in IT - something that I have thoroughly enjoyed and been well compensated to afford a comfortable, but not lavish lifestyle.
Now I am at a point in my life where I could potentially have a complete career change, although I really dont know what that could look like.
People say to me that I should do something that I enjoy and all that I have ever known and enjoyed is working in IT (despite it being quite demanding and stressful at times!)
Other things that I enjoy include gardening & photography, but I have no expertise in these things and I dont think that they pay very well.

Whether I look to stay in IT or look for a complete change, I have a number of concerns...

• As an older person (early 50's) I could find myself to be less "marketable" - I remember my father facing this as a challenge 40 years ago
  • Being autistic (Asperger's) may put potential employers off. Whilst discrimination is against the law, proving discrimination would be very difficult
  • Being autistic + other diagnosed health issues impact my ability to work (eg, I have FND which results in me finding it extremely difficult to get going in the mornings)
  • I am used to earning a decent salary above national average, but not massively

Any advice?
Has any other members gone though similar at the same point in their life?

Parents
  • Been through it at least twice, and the first time I became a contractor which extended my career for a while.. 

Now I'm living a post career off grid, "urban survalist" type of life, whilst preparing for the next big change.

• I'm not sure that I could do contracting as I don't have expertise in any particular area - more of a "Jack of all trades" with IT / business processes.

It also doesn't help that I suffer from imposter syndrome.

• I ddi a lot of hardware rollouts or audits. Simple work that paid very well when I did it.

As a contractor rates are set a little higher to compenesate for time spent out of contract.

The best recommendation is start your own limited company, do your own books unless you have an accountant you can trust and fold the company every 3 years or so and start a new one.

• I ddi a lot of hardware rollouts or audits. Simple work that paid very well when I did it.

As a contractor rates are set a little higher to compenesate for time spent out of contract.

The best recommendation is start your own limited company, do your own books unless you have an accountant you can trust and fold the company every 3 years or so and start a new one.

Children
No Data