Later Life Diagnosis & Career Change

I have written about my work situation on other posts, so will not go into too much detail here.

Having had a number of health difficulties over the past 3 years with autism being diagnosed late last year, I no find myself out of work since March this year.

I have always worked in IT - something that I have thoroughly enjoyed and been well compensated to afford a comfortable, but not lavish lifestyle.
Now I am at a point in my life where I could potentially have a complete career change, although I really dont know what that could look like.
People say to me that I should do something that I enjoy and all that I have ever known and enjoyed is working in IT (despite it being quite demanding and stressful at times!)
Other things that I enjoy include gardening & photography, but I have no expertise in these things and I dont think that they pay very well.

Whether I look to stay in IT or look for a complete change, I have a number of concerns...

• As an older person (early 50's) I could find myself to be less "marketable" - I remember my father facing this as a challenge 40 years ago
  • Being autistic (Asperger's) may put potential employers off. Whilst discrimination is against the law, proving discrimination would be very difficult
  • Being autistic + other diagnosed health issues impact my ability to work (eg, I have FND which results in me finding it extremely difficult to get going in the mornings)
  • I am used to earning a decent salary above national average, but not massively

Any advice?
Has any other members gone though similar at the same point in their life?

Parents
  • It sounds as though, you've run into a brick wall called "choice", I think that at times being given a choice and especially being told you can do whatever you want to do is quite disabling. By the sounds of it you've been quite happy and successful in IT, do you want to change and do something else? Its quite OK to be happy doing what you're doing, having found your niche.

I've never had a career path, I've had a career tangent, I've done so many different things, but I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up and I'm 62 now. I was diagnosed when I was 50 and my health was already to poor to allow me to work, so the career thing was never asked. I've often been asked why I don't cook for a living as it's something that I enjoy and am good at, but the fact that I enjoy it is why I don't want to make a living from it, I fear I would destroy my love and creativity and come to hate it. I love gardening and am good at it, but my knee's are knackered and I don't like being out in the pouring rain and cold.

Would working part time be an option for you, working from home, or on short term contracts?

• It sounds as though, you've run into a brick wall called "choice", I think that at times being given a choice and especially being told you can do whatever you want to do is quite disabling. By the sounds of it you've been quite happy and successful in IT, do you want to change and do something else? Its quite OK to be happy doing what you're doing, having found your niche.

I've never had a career path, I've had a career tangent, I've done so many different things, but I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up and I'm 62 now. I was diagnosed when I was 50 and my health was already to poor to allow me to work, so the career thing was never asked. I've often been asked why I don't cook for a living as it's something that I enjoy and am good at, but the fact that I enjoy it is why I don't want to make a living from it, I fear I would destroy my love and creativity and come to hate it. I love gardening and am good at it, but my knee's are knackered and I don't like being out in the pouring rain and cold.

Would working part time be an option for you, working from home, or on short term contracts?

Children
No Data