Feel Like I’m Meant To Be A Pathological People Pleaser

Does anyone else ever feel this way? I get told by a friend don’t do things just to appease them but then turn around and ask me to do exactly that. Like I made a huge sacrifice for them years ago and recently they asked me to make another sacrifice for them and even though I don’t want to, I’m going along with it cause they don’t know the huge sacrifice I made for them, nor do I want them to know because they’re neurotypical and it will be misunderstood and made more than it is, so yeah, just feel like I’m just meant to be a pathological people pleaser and I just wonder if there’s any other Autistic who feels this way?

Parents Reply Children
  • I don’t know if it’s a neurotypical thing or what where they can’t be consistent with what they want.

Not being consistent is a very common issue with NTs

It is compounded by miscommunications and lack of understanding by NDs of the expectations in social interactions, so don't feel that you are being singled out.

I would recommend the following book to get your head around social relationships and how they work from an autists point of view:

Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships Decoding Social Mysteries Through the Unique Perspectives of Autism - Grandin, Temple, Barron, Sean (2017)

ISBN: 9781941765388