Where to begin?

Hi everyone. I’m in need of little guidance and help please in understanding how I get can get a diagnosis. I’m reading posts and guidance on this great site but finding it a little overwhelming and unsure where to begin. Thank you

Parents
  • Hi & Welcome,

The simplest guidance that I can offer is to speak to your GP in the first instance and take it from there.

Actually getting to the point of an assessment and diagnosis usually involves a very long wait - typically 2 years or more.
    There are possible shortcuts though - private assessment (if you can afford it) and NHS right to chose (not sure how well that works in different areas of the country).

• Hello. I am UK, London based. Given the long wait on the NHS I’m prepared to go private but there are so many options to choose from. How do I decide who to choose and what should I be expected to pay? Thanks very much 

• Hello. I am UK, London based. Given the long wait on the NHS I’m prepared to go private but there are so many options to choose from. How do I decide who to choose and what should I be expected to pay? Thanks very much 

Children
  • There are a number of private providers of autism assessments. The best test for their bona fides is to look if they do assessments for the NHS, under the 'Right to Chose Scheme'. Prices appear to vary from around £600.00 to £2,000.00, but around £1,000.00 seems to be the usual.

• I went private for my diagnosis (also London based). After a ton of research, I used https://www.adultautism.ie  wait time was about 3 months before my first session, and was diagnosed a month or so later. 

They were fantastic and they're a neurodiversity positive practice so I didn't feel stigmatised or "othered" during the process.

If you have any specific questions about it, feel free to message me.