Autistic Portrayal

When it comes to the portrayal of the neurodiverse, we have Dustin Hoffman using his study of Kim Peake, to display a character who is a memory genius but incapable of doing the simplest things for himself. 'The Good Doctor' has an actor who moves like a robot, more than the autistic person he is supposed to be playing ('House' as a genius solving medical problems is more to my taste).

'The Big Bang Theory' equally has a mathematical genius who is cited as being a good model of autism but seems more like just an academic geek. 'Professor T' and Tony Shalhoub's detective character ‘Monk’ are good portrayals of OCD but not autism.

Only 'Astrid: Murder in Paris' (More 4, Fridays at nine) carries across the characteristics of the condition as well as being really smart in noticing details and solving crimes. Not knowing what she is feeling, hyper sensitive to sound, dislike of being touched and other symptoms are drawn into the script as a necessary part of the program, unlike other shows.

Also the actress who plays her younger self looks remarkably like her and portrays the behaviour of older self with accuracy: When I first saw her I thought it was CGI and clever camera angles, making her look like the younger version of the character.

All-in-all the kind of pains-taking quality you'd expect, if the whole show was devised and produced by someone who was themselves on the spectrum, which they could be (I've yet to find out).