Meaningless rituals

I have always found human rituals astounding. You don't need to be married to live together and have children and they in turn don't need to be christened. If you die, you don't need a funeral in order to be buried or cremated either. You're dead, that's it. You're born, that's it. You have sex, that's it. You give birth, that's it. 

Then there's greetings, morning, afternoon, evening. Why tell someone what they can already see? Happy birthday! I'll decide that as it might be absolutely miserable for me on that day. Don't talk to me about parties. Crowds of people making noise, getting drunk, loud music so you can't hear yourself think or make sense of the simplified speech people have to resort to, in order to be misheard (see daily greetings for same thing). 

Personally I prefer to think than be deafened but each to their own, whatever that means (all these colloquialisms are another bugbear for me, whatever that means). 

• Then there's greetings, morning, afternoon, evening. Why tell someone what they can already see? Happy birthday! I'll decide that as it might be absolutely miserable for me on that day. Don't talk to me about parties. Crowds of people making noise, getting drunk, loud music so you can't hear yourself think or make sense of the simplified speech people have to resort to, in order to be misheard (see daily greetings for same

Completely agree with you!

• Rituals are exercises in group bonding, I can't think of a society anywhere at anytime that dosen't have its rituals, some religious and some purely social or personal.

I don't like weddings, I dont' understand them and certainly don't want to go to anymore and would never do it again myself. The idea of getting married makes my skin crawl, all that attention on me and for what? Oddly enough, I'm quite happy standing up and talking in front of people as long as it's about something I know about, then its about the material and not me.