Sensory Sensitivities

Does any one else suffer from this? I find all my senses are highly tuned, there are some fabrics and surfaces I can't touch, I can't use most cosmetics, laundry and household products, I fond them overwhelming and they either make me wheeze or give me contact dermatitis. Going out is a poroblem because of noise and smells, everybody seems to stink of various laundry products, cosmetics and febreeze, that stuff really takes my breath away.

Another big one is light, I can control it in the house, with curtains, lamps etc, but not outside, I dont' find sunglasses that helpful as they're usually not dark enough, I tried asking an optitian for help and they didn' tunderstand and got shitty with me for asking for reactions lenses with plain glass.

Parents Reply
  • Hi Rosie. I'm happy to write an article about Sensory related threads such as this one. The link you've provided doesn't address the issues the OP has asked about. There's a great deal of research on how our Salience Network works, why autistics (and others on the 'spectrum') do not desensitise like our non-autistic peers.  Cheers! 

Children
No Data