Is it getting a little bit boring around here?

So cut me some slack because what I'm about to say is likely to annoy some people but it's not an accusation against any one as such. But don't you get tired with the threads here. 60% seems to be parents going 'my child X please help.' Even if you restrict yourself the autistic adults forum so much of it is so trivial and boring every day. I've started clasifing the difrent classes of boring threads I'm reading, they are so predictable.

• Hey I'm autistic and I have trait / experence X! do we all have X? what about you?
  • Here is a random piece of prozaic infomation about how my day went I just want to share incase it interests you.
  • I don't like how autism is portayed in the media.
  • I'm nervese about upcoming diagnoises
  • I did / didn't get diagnosed
  • Should I get diagnosed?
  • random pets / animal memes / pictures thread.
  • Help there is trouble at work (valid to ask for help of course but it gets tirering giving the same advice over and over)
  • advise me what resonable adjustments I should ask for
  • Random quiz thread. E.G. 'what is your favorite X,' 'do you have X type of thing.' etc.
  • Here's a random long artical / youtube video (usuall with no scientific evidence) about autism I think you should see.
  • Life sucks because X (again very valid but all too often it's in a way that doesn't really open a discussion, it's just for sympathy)
  • I have a Problem please help (but gives almost no detail or context for the problem so it's hard to say much).
  • How do I deleat / please deleat.

Threads I miss seeing and that seem to be getting rarer:

• I have controversial opinion X and here are my reasions; lets talk about it.
  • I have a novel problem X and here is a lot of detail can you help me brain storm.
  • What would make life better for autistic people is X, do you agree? How do we work towards it.
  • Curent afairs / polotics thing X is an issue for autistic people what should we do about it?
  • Thing X that autistic people tend to strugel with presents a moril / pholosophical chalenge for autistic people how should we adress it?
  • Here is a news artical / press release / peer reveiwed paper relevent to autistic people.

I'm not saying everything has to be like a oxbridge debating sociaty but it would be nice if we could have a few more meaty discussions around here. I'm surely not the only one who feels that way?

• Or if you look at it from another perspective, it isn't a parrot at all

• IF you look at it from the other perspective, it's two parrots sitting on a coracle..

• so much depends
    upon
    a green wheel
    barrow
    not glazed with rain
    water
    underneath the brown
    chickens
    ..................discuss
  • To ensure an appropriate representation of colour balance (from the outset) of this, undobtedly important poetic discussion.....I dryly present thus;

• so much depends
    upon
    a red wheel
    barrow
    glazed with rain
    water
    beside the white
    chickens
    .................................................Discuss. :-) 
  • you are one of the people on here who has made an effort to provide a resource for other people, so have attempted to invest in other people which is a very brave and generous thing to try.

You make an important and valid observation here (about Peter) that has not escaped my notice either.  Balance (and fairness) is important to me, in respect to the treatment of others in this place.

• Peter. this has been a wonderful thread, and has given me much pause for thought.

As you know I somewhat sympathise with your position, AND I've well noted that you are one of the people on here who has made an effort to provide a resource for other people, so have attempted to invest in other people which is a very brave and generous thing to try.

Where you are foundering as many of us do, is that you "would like things to go a bit more to your liking". 

(Indeed, I'm wondering if I get some tee shirts made with "I would like things to be a bit more to my liking" if NAS will let me market them here?)

That feeling of "I would like things to be a bit more to my liking" is pernicious, just like picking up a tobacco addiction is, (and about as hard to shake off) but ultimately with humans it always leads to people being killed for "making things wrong for other people".

• I think the difference is that an AS person would be far more susceptible to clinging to, doubling down on, and getting hopelessly fixated on the exhilaration of controversy. It can become a pernicious form of special interest. I grew up with such zealots, (the more toxic side of the John Birch Society anyone?).

ATs are just as subject to feeding off drama and controversy too, but they are far more mercurial about it, Editing (unless they out right forget) what they felt about a subject as it flits past their focal plane. But - drama queens all round - Plenty room for everyone. Energy Vampires.

There are those among us who get just as worked up over home made christmas ornaments, to everyone's delight, harming no ones sense of well being, indeed enhancing it. Special interests R us!

Here's what we all have to ask ourselves every time we post here: Is this going to have a positive effect on other's sense of well being? Simple as that.

AS, know thyself beyond the confines of AT adopted narratives.

They cannot reflect the authentic you! Find your original face!

There is no one holding your leash!

•        Controversial topics are rarely intellectual! They are reactionary, mostly designed to try and push one group into allowing for another's hopes of claiming ideological hegemony. I think a a few nights snuggling up with Descarte for a few hours might help us all!

• Try Truth Social.

• Well I'm here (see my profile). Will be posting various articles and questions etc here in coming few days, months, years,.,,.

• I just regret that all the people who used to enjoy having intellectual discussions about controversial topics seem to have left or been cowed into silence.

That could be because the controversial discussions were offensive and therefore it is right that they no longer continue.

• Oh I totally feel able to discuss them. I just regret that all the people who used to enjoy having intellectual discussions about controversial topics seem to have left or been cowed into silence.

they haven’t gone anywhere else. At least not on the web.

• Traditional British values are being undermined. Take the latest abomination by Nike - the cross of St George has been the English flag for a thousand years, but they decide to "modernise" it and the FA does nothing. I would like to see the FA scrap the shirt and get a new one, leaving Nike with a few hundred thousand expensive dusters.

• Alternatively if you don’t feel like you can discuss the controversial or triggering topics here, why not leave this autistic community?

If this space is not meeting your needs, you can just leave.

• You only want to make people feel safe if you find their position and issues relatable. As soon as it’s a situation that doesn’t arouse your sympathy that doesn’t resonate with you personally all this talk of a safe space goes out of the window.

This is misrepresenting me Peter.

I didn't know the phrase 'safe' in relation to social media until I read it here and I have never used it.

Safety is related to vulnerablility, so I assume its meaning in this context is that matters that trigger people here due to their vulnerability are kept 'in check'.

I've seen and known personally about others leaving this forum due to sexist/racist/anti trans/political posts and I'm simply speaking for the ghosts of forum members past.

Please do what you wish and create whichever discussions you desire - no one here is stopping you.

It would be nice to be abl eto discuss meatier topics, I know I'm fairly new here and I get that people don't want to upset others, but do we have to follow the conventions of what passes for debate in the NT world? Is our perspective not different, the things we understand, the things we don't. Debates shouldn't be people screaming opposing views into the wind, they should make us think, challenge us, but not insult us.

I agree.

Happy Sunday to anyone reading this.

ps.  Please don't engineer this post into an argument too - it's me trying to sign off.

I think it's best that you just get on with what you want to do, rather than us debating it to no good effect.

• If you think a thread is not to your taste, you can always scroll past it. I am all for rational discussion and debate.

• Well. Let's be honest. What do you expect?

If there was a forum for wheelbarrow discussions out there. It's probably going to be about wheelbarrows.

• Self awareness = zero.

I give up. Goodnight.

• Nothing in that prevents controversial topics.