diagnosis experience and dissapointment.

So after 4 years waiting I finally got to have my NHS diagnosis for ASD and ADHD. My ASD diagnosis was rejected. I am nuerodiverse, not nuerodivergent, I think thats the right way round. So basically I am 80% autistic. I fell down on being able to hold a normal conversation, having hand movements that were consistent and not having a mononitous voice. I also fell down that being 54 nobody could validate anything from my childhood. So over all dissapointing, but I do 100% meet the criteria of innatentive ADHD. I am not really sure how I feel on this whole thing? Maybe I got hung up on scoring high on stuff like obsession, social interaction, and the like.

Now very confused.

Rob

Parents
  • This doesn’t make a lot of sense. You can’t be 80% autistic. You either are or aren’t. As other posters have said I question how this diagnosis was made. I can also communicate fluently, don’t hand flap or have a monotonous voice but the team (4 of them) who did my assessment had no doubt I’m an autist. (With ADHD) I’m 59 and had no one except myself to vouch for my childhood. 
    I know this isn’t much help in terms of getting a formal diagnosis but please be assured that if you’ve done your homework and have concluded you’re autistic you are autistic. The ADHD diagnosis covers you in terms of disability legislation. 

• This doesn’t make a lot of sense. You can’t be 80% autistic. You either are or aren’t. As other posters have said I question how this diagnosis was made. I can also communicate fluently, don’t hand flap or have a monotonous voice but the team (4 of them) who did my assessment had no doubt I’m an autist. (With ADHD) I’m 59 and had no one except myself to vouch for my childhood. 
    I know this isn’t much help in terms of getting a formal diagnosis but please be assured that if you’ve done your homework and have concluded you’re autistic you are autistic. The ADHD diagnosis covers you in terms of disability legislation. 

Children
  • This doesn’t make a lot of sense. You can’t be 80% autistic.

It is consistent with the way autism is diagnosed.

When you take the like of a RAADS test as part of the assessment you get a score based on how many traits you have and how severe they are. When this number crosses a threshold you meet the criteria.

If you are 80% of the score to meet the criteria then you can easily say you are 80% autistic. By their measure you can also be 120% autistic too - it just goes to show that it is an arbitary value that can be easily measured by professionals.

The label of auutistic is often used for disability claim reasons, but it is also valuable to understand the nauture of our minds so we can find ways to cope better with our issues.