Adult Self-Referral for Autism

Hello, I hope everyone are having a good week. I would like to reach out if anyone can advise as to how I will refer myself for autism evaluation with my local GP as I wanted to know if I have autism. I have a history of anxiety as well as panic attacks. I am based in UK, Kingston upon Thames  Surrey area.

Your advice will be highly appreciated, thank you! 

• When I wanted a referral I wrote a letter to my GP with evidence from a series of online tests I'd taken.

I also asked for the "right to choose" which meant I could get an NHS paid for refrerral to a private clinic. This sped upthe process and I was refered and diagnosed within three months. I may have been lucky there though.

www.clinical-partners.co.uk/.../adult-autism-test

• Hi there!! I basically phoned up my GP (as if I was making a normal appointment), except when the receptionist asked what it was for I just said autism/I want an autism assessment. After that, you'll probably meet with a GP and they'll ask you a few basic questions about different criteria of autism like your experiences with friendships, sensory sensitivities etc and then from that they'll decide whether to refer you or not. You'll find out if you're getting referred at the end of this chat with the GP. Sometimes as well, they may make you fill out a form online instead of coming in for a chat with the GP and then they'll use your answers on that to know when to get a referral. 

First step is just phoning the doctor though

• Hi, new here as only got my diagnosis today. I asked my gp for a referral and had to fill in questionnaires and then was put on the waiting list. It’s a pretty long wait, I think it took around 18 months or so until my appointment came through. Good luck!