Late diagnosis

Hi all, I’m new here…

I’m wondering if anyone has any ideas of resources to read or watch for the newly late adult diagnosed. I’m feeling very numb and burnt out since my diagnosis last week at aged 48, and although I had been expecting some sort of response, wasn’t expecting it to hit me like this. I’m partly in strong denial, but the other part logically understands the diagnosis. I realise it’s early days but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :)

Parents
  • Firstly congrats (I think) on your diagnosis.

Many will probably agree with me - a positive diagnosis can really shock you, even if you had previously suspected that you are autistic and done loads of research. For me, nothing could prepare me for that moment "Are you ready for your diagnosis" question.

You will most probably experience a roller coaster of emotions for quite a while. Sometimes you may feel enlightened, validated, etc. Other times maybe angry, sad, etc.

I had my diagnosis 6 months ago, aged 53 and I think that I am now coming to terms with it all.

As far as post diagnosis support is concerned, I'm afraid that in my experience (and probably many others on here) there really isn't any support. I was invited to a series post diagnosis sessions (remote) - the first one was my last as it really was useless. In fact it made me feel worse / more desperate as the 2 support hosts were hopelessly underqualified / experienced.

Good Luck Slight smile

• Firstly congrats (I think) on your diagnosis.

Many will probably agree with me - a positive diagnosis can really shock you, even if you had previously suspected that you are autistic and done loads of research. For me, nothing could prepare me for that moment "Are you ready for your diagnosis" question.

You will most probably experience a roller coaster of emotions for quite a while. Sometimes you may feel enlightened, validated, etc. Other times maybe angry, sad, etc.

I had my diagnosis 6 months ago, aged 53 and I think that I am now coming to terms with it all.

As far as post diagnosis support is concerned, I'm afraid that in my experience (and probably many others on here) there really isn't any support. I was invited to a series post diagnosis sessions (remote) - the first one was my last as it really was useless. In fact it made me feel worse / more desperate as the 2 support hosts were hopelessly underqualified / experienced.

Good Luck Slight smile

Children
No Data