People saying things they don’t mean

So many times I’ve bumped into someone I haven’t seen for a while or maybe someone even texted me after a while, and they say “we should meet up and do x”.

In 100% of cases they never get back in touch to do x. In 100% of the small proportion of cases where I’ve approached them to take them up on their offer to do x, some excuse is manufactured and x does not happen.

So WHY do people say this? 

Parents
  • This is something that's always bothered me too about neurotypical people, I would never suggest something I didn't fully intend to do, it just gets confusing. Easy to say "Great to see you, take care!" or something if just want to keep it casual. I think they think it's polite, but to me it doesn't come across as polite to be disingenuous 

• This is something that's always bothered me too about neurotypical people, I would never suggest something I didn't fully intend to do, it just gets confusing. Easy to say "Great to see you, take care!" or something if just want to keep it casual. I think they think it's polite, but to me it doesn't come across as polite to be disingenuous 

Children
No Data