People saying things they don’t mean

So many times I’ve bumped into someone I haven’t seen for a while or maybe someone even texted me after a while, and they say “we should meet up and do x”.

In 100% of cases they never get back in touch to do x. In 100% of the small proportion of cases where I’ve approached them to take them up on their offer to do x, some excuse is manufactured and x does not happen.

So WHY do people say this? 

Parents
  • ah Normlish a difficult language spoken by norms where people don't say what they actually mean.

Normlish

I haven't seen you for ages = i don't really want to see you now but i'm being polite.

we should meet up for coffee = i'm trying to be polite but actually i'm trying to break off this conversation so i can get back to doing X

you see the pattern? its all small talk and social niceties. we could publish a Nomrlish dictionary for new users. sadly i cannot put my reply to most of these normlish comments and the mods would delete and ban me in an instant. lets just say the 3rd and 6th letter of the alphabet feature prominently

• ah Normlish a difficult language spoken by norms where people don't say what they actually mean.

Normlish

I haven't seen you for ages = i don't really want to see you now but i'm being polite.

we should meet up for coffee = i'm trying to be polite but actually i'm trying to break off this conversation so i can get back to doing X

you see the pattern? its all small talk and social niceties. we could publish a Nomrlish dictionary for new users. sadly i cannot put my reply to most of these normlish comments and the mods would delete and ban me in an instant. lets just say the 3rd and 6th letter of the alphabet feature prominently

Children
No Data