People saying things they don’t mean

So many times I’ve bumped into someone I haven’t seen for a while or maybe someone even texted me after a while, and they say “we should meet up and do x”.

In 100% of cases they never get back in touch to do x. In 100% of the small proportion of cases where I’ve approached them to take them up on their offer to do x, some excuse is manufactured and x does not happen.

So WHY do people say this? 

Parents
  • I think some of it is people are vague and like to leave things open. I've fallen foul far too many times of friends saying "oh that sounds good!" at a suggestion and I take that to mean "it's definitely hsppening". It happened a lot when I was younger and realised it's when people are considering if better offers might come in! I'm fortunate the people around me now, I can either a) understand and accept the vagueness - or b) they're like me or c) they're "control freaks" themselves

Also, thinking about someone I know who might ask me who I'd rather not see. I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings.  Do the people here want an honest answer? You might not want to hear it!

• Not suggesting to meet up would not in any way upset me. There is simply no need or point in suggesting it. In fact a conversation that was going very nicely becomes awkward as soon as they do it.

• Yes I agree. I wouldn't ask someone unless I meant it. 

Reply Children
No Data