People saying things they don’t mean

So many times I’ve bumped into someone I haven’t seen for a while or maybe someone even texted me after a while, and they say “we should meet up and do x”.

In 100% of cases they never get back in touch to do x. In 100% of the small proportion of cases where I’ve approached them to take them up on their offer to do x, some excuse is manufactured and x does not happen.

So WHY do people say this? 

Parents
  • I think some of it is people are vague and like to leave things open. I've fallen foul far too many times of friends saying "oh that sounds good!" at a suggestion and I take that to mean "it's definitely hsppening". It happened a lot when I was younger and realised it's when people are considering if better offers might come in! I'm fortunate the people around me now, I can either a) understand and accept the vagueness - or b) they're like me or c) they're "control freaks" themselves

Also, thinking about someone I know who might ask me who I'd rather not see. I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings.  Do the people here want an honest answer? You might not want to hear it!

• People don't want an honest answer! Well, maybe we do.

But NT people, No. 

• I think they just love being told what they want to hear and that’s enough to massage their egos. Then they can walk around for that day safe in the knowledge that someone wants to be their friend. 

Sorry does that sound mean? It is kinda how I see it though 

• I think they just love being told what they want to hear and that’s enough to massage their egos. Then they can walk around for that day safe in the knowledge that someone wants to be their friend. 

Sorry does that sound mean? It is kinda how I see it though 

Children
No Data