People saying things they don’t mean

So many times I’ve bumped into someone I haven’t seen for a while or maybe someone even texted me after a while, and they say “we should meet up and do x”.

In 100% of cases they never get back in touch to do x. In 100% of the small proportion of cases where I’ve approached them to take them up on their offer to do x, some excuse is manufactured and x does not happen.

So WHY do people say this? 

Parents
  • WHY do people say this?

This is the neurotypical way - over 90% of the population are in this category so it is best to understand it and take such notifications from them with a big pinch of salt.

For me the key was not to take people literally - these polite invitations are a very normal social smokescreen used to pretend they are interested rather than saying what they mean (in most cases they mean "oh god, its that freak again - I'll pretend to be nice in the hope that they go away")

There are loads of these social constructs in use for NTs so it is well worth investing time to read up on them so you understand what is expected in conversation with them.

You may as well complain about how self serving and ineffectual any government becomes - this is just a fact of life that it benefits to understand and deal with accordingly.

• WHY do people say this?

This is the neurotypical way - over 90% of the population are in this category so it is best to understand it and take such notifications from them with a big pinch of salt.

For me the key was not to take people literally - these polite invitations are a very normal social smokescreen used to pretend they are interested rather than saying what they mean (in most cases they mean "oh god, its that freak again - I'll pretend to be nice in the hope that they go away")

There are loads of these social constructs in use for NTs so it is well worth investing time to read up on them so you understand what is expected in conversation with them.

You may as well complain about how self serving and ineffectual any government becomes - this is just a fact of life that it benefits to understand and deal with accordingly.

Children