People saying things they don’t mean

So many times I’ve bumped into someone I haven’t seen for a while or maybe someone even texted me after a while, and they say “we should meet up and do x”.

In 100% of cases they never get back in touch to do x. In 100% of the small proportion of cases where I’ve approached them to take them up on their offer to do x, some excuse is manufactured and x does not happen.

So WHY do people say this? 

Parents
  • I don't know why people do this. Its awkward. I think people do it to make themselves feel better. It might be some social politeness dance.  I remember Plastic god rest his soul talked about this once on here.

I recently bumped into someone I partially knew 15 years ago and she said "let's go for coffee!" I knew she had no intention of doing this. I said I'd add her on Facebook. I'm not on Facebook. 

• I don't know why people do this. Its awkward. I think people do it to make themselves feel better. It might be some social politeness dance.  I remember Plastic god rest his soul talked about this once on here.

I recently bumped into someone I partially knew 15 years ago and she said "let's go for coffee!" I knew she had no intention of doing this. I said I'd add her on Facebook. I'm not on Facebook. 

Children