Introducing myself.

As a child, I had a lot of developemental issues and due to this I was first assessed to have learning disabilities, when I was 5 years old, I was assessed to have severe learning difficulties then in my late teens and early adulthood, I was assessed again by the same people to have moderate learning difficulties. I also have had epilepsy since birth but it was not diagnosed until the age of 7 years old.
All through my life from childhood, I had a lot of behavioural problems although this was connected to my frustration of finding it difficult or not being allowed to express myself about the trauma of abuse I suffered at the hands of both children and adults alike, Although I am not going to go into details about that.
After I turned 16 years old, I made a solemn vow that nobody would go through at my hands what I went through as a child. Although very difficult at times after leaving school with a reading age of a 10 year old, I never gave up on learning or trying to educate myself. I now have qualifications after my name due to adult education and training at my own pace. In 2017 after having a breakdown, I was referred to my local mental health team although I had counselling and CBT prior to that.
It was only in 2018 that many suspected that I was high on the spectrum for Autism. In 2021, I asked my mental health team to refer me for an assessment for Autism. I finally got my assessment and was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder 14th May 2023 at the age of 57 years old.
I have since researched Autism Spectrum Disorder to try and understand my own Autism and did a course just before Christmas 2023 with the National Autistic Society to understand and help others who have Autism. I am now a Peer Lead/ Volunteer with Birmingham Mind and I am working with two volunteers who also have Autism Spectrum Disorder in order, to create a course and set up a support group within Birmingham Mind for anyone who has or wants to understand the basics of Autism Spectrum disorder.
I have to say that after my diagnosis, absolutely everything fell into place about my life and the problems I have overcome and the problems I will overcome in future. I just wanted to share this to inspire others and show that there is hope, that we are all valued and that we can positively contribute to making a much better world in which to live.
Parents Reply Children
No Data