Really confused

Hey everyone 

Just wanted to put a question to anyone who is willing to share their thoughts or experiences please?

I am undiagnosed 49yr old male, father of two boys and one of which is autistic. Over the last 7 months I have been building a list of traits and things I consider very different to your NT’s, I have quite a list now. I am very similar to my son who is autistic and we have such a deep understanding of each other which others do not get sometimes. I have done various online tests, firstly the Raads which I scored around 140 and secondly the Catq which was around 142. 

For me personally I would need a diagnosis for me to be able to identify myself and I’ve been convinced for some time now that I am very sure I’m autistic. 
I have been recently having doubts and I don’t know why, did anyone else have this in the early days of realising? Is it because today is one of those ok days? Or is it just because I’m finding it a bit overwhelming and not ready to accept it? I really thought I was in a good place with it and was comfortable with it.

These are really strange times for me atm. I feel almost great one day and completely the opposite another. 

[deleted by moderator]

Parents
  • I only accepted that I'm autistic after months of researching autism (i.e. reading about it online and watching *lots* of YouTube videos). I have since had an official diagnosis, and while that was a negative experience for me personally, I would encourage you to seek one if you feel that it would be beneficial. I think the ultimate benefit of self-recognition and/or official diagnosis is a deeper understanding and acceptance of who you are. 

• I only accepted that I'm autistic after months of researching autism (i.e. reading about it online and watching *lots* of YouTube videos). I have since had an official diagnosis, and while that was a negative experience for me personally, I would encourage you to seek one if you feel that it would be beneficial. I think the ultimate benefit of self-recognition and/or official diagnosis is a deeper understanding and acceptance of who you are. 

Children
No Data