School education

I watched a TV show that Darren McGarvey presented about schools. Very interesting.

One school he visited had all the children sit in a circle and each child was asked to say something positive about the child to the right This was thought provoking. A way of trying to encourage a positive attitude and improve relationships. They would regularly meet and do things like that so the school was not just about learning things but also developing character.

Another school he visited would hold group meetings with students in which they would discuss with the teachers good things they had done and reprimands they had had. It would be noted how many of each they had. This was a way for everyone to explore what was considered acceptable behaviour and what was considered outstanding behaviour (such as for example volunteering to clean up after an art session). I thought this was quite inspiring as it was trying to encourage the students to be model citizens and not just clever.

Finally another school he went to had so many activities it was amazing but this was a private school. It had an on-site theatre and large grounds for exercising but the most impressive thing was the school's ethos and philosophy was find what a child was good at and they were interested in and laser focus on that and do everything to get them into a career that matches it when they leave the school. So they would be more flexible than the usual national curriculum schools most of us have experienced, for example a child who showed aptitude at acting in plays, they would even from a young age be networking with people in the acting industry to get this child experience in it and start building up their confidence in that industry and knowledge of it and contacts within it.

I myself feel I could have had a much better school education. I'm sure many of you do too. On the bright side, what I saw on that TV show indicates that despite an awful government we've had for over a decade that is obsessed with austerity there are lots of good people who are innovating.

Parents
  • School isn't the right environment for kids. Homeschooling should be the answer.

An enforced curriculum alienated an entire generation of young boys, to the point where they become entrenched Nihilists.

Our country never enjoyed the fruits of peacetime. War was ingrained in us.

• School isn't the right environment for kids. Homeschooling should be the answer.

An enforced curriculum alienated an entire generation of young boys, to the point where they become entrenched Nihilists.

Our country never enjoyed the fruits of peacetime. War was ingrained in us.

Children