Accessing NHS services as an autistic adult

Hello all, 

I am new to this forum and I am posting on behalf of wife who has later in life been diagnosed as autistic. 

I am reaching out as I am astounded as the NHS's apparent lack of reasonable adjustments when dealing with the health needs of an autistic adult. 

My wife has recently been informed that she will have to have a series of outpatient operations in order to remove some precancerous polyps from her colon. She has had two so far which have left her in a really uncomfortable state, which resulted in an A&E visit and another to a walk in centre. 

The issue she is having is that none of these medical health professionals are understanding of her autism. I don't think it has even been flagged on her notes. They seem to lack a basic understanding hat she needs to be fully informed as to what is happening, come up with a plan of action and provide some aftercare etc. 

The reaction to this seems to be a blanket response of "we can't or won't do that." 

I guess I am reaching out to ask if anyone can help on how best we can advocate for my wife as an autistic adult and put across what she needs? Are there any charities that could assist her with this or procedures to follow? 

As it stands, there's the risk she won't continue with these procedures as she is finding the whole thing upsetting and no one is accommodating. 

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Thanks

Parents
  • I would get in touch with her GP, explain the situation and ask if they can give some direction to the hospital staff - get it added to her file that specific approaches are required for her.

There is a distinct lack of knowledge of autism through the NHS though so this is quite possibly an element that she cannot avoid so may need to defer the next treatment until she feels up to the challenges it gives.

Sorry it isn't better news but autism is a relatively recent diagnosis option in the medical community and disseminating the knowledge of it and how to treat autistic people will have a significant lead time.

Good luck

• I would get in touch with her GP, explain the situation and ask if they can give some direction to the hospital staff - get it added to her file that specific approaches are required for her.

There is a distinct lack of knowledge of autism through the NHS though so this is quite possibly an element that she cannot avoid so may need to defer the next treatment until she feels up to the challenges it gives.

Sorry it isn't better news but autism is a relatively recent diagnosis option in the medical community and disseminating the knowledge of it and how to treat autistic people will have a significant lead time.

Good luck

Children
No Data