What do you wish NTs knew about us?

And what do you wish they would stop doing/saying?

I wish they knew that we aren’t all like Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory. I wish they would stop saying things like “everyone is a little bit autistic” as it effectively (if not intentionally) downplays the struggles we face on a daily basis. 

Parents
  • I wish they stop telling us “stop exaggerating” and other gaslight stuff. Just acknowledge that someone else perceives the world differently and has some different challenges. I’m not expecting them to fully understand our struggles because they are not sitting in our heads, but just acknowledge the differences. Everyone somehow  is different. It would be also good if majority was better educated about autism and other ND conditions. 

• I wish they stop telling us “stop exaggerating” and other gaslight stuff. Just acknowledge that someone else perceives the world differently and has some different challenges. I’m not expecting them to fully understand our struggles because they are not sitting in our heads, but just acknowledge the differences. Everyone somehow  is different. It would be also good if majority was better educated about autism and other ND conditions. 

Children
  • I agree that being told everyone's a bit autistic is really annoying, it's also patronising. I think it's a way for NT's to invalidate ND experience whilst validating their own.

I also agree that too many NT's see someone saying that something causes them a problem or that they have a problems with something as a complaint, I think this is something that effects NT's too, if they have for example an allergy. I think that lack of listening skills, creative thinking, or just thinking at all is something that's baked into society, it starts at school and goes on from there with everybody becoming less flexible as time goes on.