What do you wish NTs knew about us?

And what do you wish they would stop doing/saying?

I wish they knew that we aren’t all like Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory. I wish they would stop saying things like “everyone is a little bit autistic” as it effectively (if not intentionally) downplays the struggles we face on a daily basis. 

Parents
  • I wish they would understand if there is something we find difficult they would see it not as a complaint, but rather an attempt to help them understand how difficult a thing that is simple to them takes a lot of effort for us and allow us time to adjust, prepare ourselves and recover after. I guess for example they wouldn't fully understand the preparation for going to a simple appointment, even one not unpleasant for days before and the need to recover after.

• I wish they would understand if there is something we find difficult they would see it not as a complaint, but rather an attempt to help them understand how difficult a thing that is simple to them takes a lot of effort for us and allow us time to adjust, prepare ourselves and recover after. I guess for example they wouldn't fully understand the preparation for going to a simple appointment, even one not unpleasant for days before and the need to recover after.

Children
  • Sadly, this point blank refusal to properly acknowledge and understand the issues that we face, as well as mental health issues in general also exists within the LGBT community despite the fact that so many LGBT people are autistic and vice versa, which as an older gay man myself, I have personally experienced such prejudice and discrimination from within the LGBT community and on the gay scene, even at gay pride events