What do you wish NTs knew about us?

And what do you wish they would stop doing/saying?

I wish they knew that we aren’t all like Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory. I wish they would stop saying things like “everyone is a little bit autistic” as it effectively (if not intentionally) downplays the struggles we face on a daily basis. 

Parents
  • That we're actually worth getting to know. Nearly every NT I've ever met just ignored me as soon as they found out I'm autistic. Really hurtful when you're outcasted like that.

• That we're actually worth getting to know. Nearly every NT I've ever met just ignored me as soon as they found out I'm autistic. Really hurtful when you're outcasted like that.

Children
  • Absolutely true! I remember from my previous job, around 8 years ago, long before my discovery journey I had colleague at work, he confessed to me and few others that he is autistic. I was the only one who really liked spending break with him. Others made fun of him and then of me as well as they saw I spend time with him. I preferred listening about his special interest (Japanese) instead of having to deal with NT’s small talk and their weird body language. Now I know why! And I love spending time here on this site! Almost all people who I got closer to were neurodivergent, I always felt more comfortable with them. 

• Learn to embrace solitude. Human contact is overrated. Machinery and computers are way better than humans. Maybe dogs and cats can help, I dont know since I never tried. 

• Have you found an autistic group to join and feel accepted?