What do you wish NTs knew about us?

And what do you wish they would stop doing/saying?

I wish they knew that we aren’t all like Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory. I wish they would stop saying things like “everyone is a little bit autistic” as it effectively (if not intentionally) downplays the struggles we face on a daily basis. 

Parents
  • I have another one - we are very capable of feeling empathy. It’s just that we don’t always know how to show it. I have been accused of lacking empathy when in fact I’m a very empathetic person (I don't mean that in a self-congratulatory way). This stereotype that we are emotionally cold and robotic is really harmful. 

• Indeed, we do not always know how to show it, and in my case I seem to not be able to pick up the signs that it is called for, but i do have it.

• If anything, I think I have too much empathy at times. I’ve been told I put other people’s needs before my own. 

• If anything, I think I have too much empathy at times. I’ve been told I put other people’s needs before my own. 

This is me completely. Although I embrace it as others have said on here before it can be a curse. I can feel pain from being empathetic and extreme joy. I do hide how much empathy I have from people as I know they would find me very strange. What a shame I feel I cannot project that to the outside world and I’ve been called emotionless before. 

This is me completely. Although I embrace it as others have said on here before it can be a curse. I can feel pain from being empathetic and extreme joy. I do hide how much empathy I have from people as I know they would find me very strange. What a shame I feel I cannot project that to the outside world and I’ve been called emotionless before. 

Children
No Data