What do you wish NTs knew about us?

And what do you wish they would stop doing/saying?

I wish they knew that we aren’t all like Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory. I wish they would stop saying things like “everyone is a little bit autistic” as it effectively (if not intentionally) downplays the struggles we face on a daily basis. 

Parents
  • I wish they would stop saying things like “everyone is a little bit autistic” as it effectively (if not intentionally) downplays the struggles we face on a daily basis. 

This always upsets and offends me more than it should. I think because I've struggled quite a lot and whilst I try not to blame it all on my autism I know that in all honesty it has played a large part so to see those who haven't had to go through my daily struggles downplay it as just this casual thing every has offends me a little. It's the same with anxiety and depression when people compare it to whenever they've been nervous or sad etc. it's not the same thing and I really wouldn't wish them on anyone. I'm glad that people don't have to go through what I go through and I wouldn't really want them to experience it but at the same time part of me would like them to have a taster, 24hrs, just to get that perspective and realise it's not a trivial thing.

• I wish they would stop saying things like “everyone is a little bit autistic” as it effectively (if not intentionally) downplays the struggles we face on a daily basis. 

This always upsets and offends me more than it should. I think because I've struggled quite a lot and whilst I try not to blame it all on my autism I know that in all honesty it has played a large part so to see those who haven't had to go through my daily struggles downplay it as just this casual thing every has offends me a little. It's the same with anxiety and depression when people compare it to whenever they've been nervous or sad etc. it's not the same thing and I really wouldn't wish them on anyone. I'm glad that people don't have to go through what I go through and I wouldn't really want them to experience it but at the same time part of me would like them to have a taster, 24hrs, just to get that perspective and realise it's not a trivial thing.

Children
No Data