Relationship with an AuDHD partner

Hi there, 

i hope you are able to help.  I’m in a relationship with a partner who has had an adult diagnosis for AuDHD- he has been diagnosed with what used to be known as Asperger’s, as well as with ADHD.  We have known each other for a really long time (almost 30 decades) and have been in a relationship when we were young adults and prior to his diagnosis.  Our current relationship is relatively new - and naturally followed a supportive and growing friendship following his diagnosis.  It has started really well, loving and supportive, but lately it has been quite difficult due to misunderstandings in communication, although there are other personal factors that put strain on it.  We love each other deeply and I am just looking for advice on how to be a supportive and loving partner to someone with an adult autism diagnosis, in a way which does not treat him as an invalid, but which validates and respects his individuality.  How do we discuss our individual needs without making them feel like demands?  Any general help and suggestions would be very helpful. Thank you so much! 

Parents
  • Hello. I'm an AuDHDer, and my wife has put up with me/loved me for 22 years. She supports me massively by allowing me space - I love her very much, but I also love being alone, especially after a day at work. Also, having received my ADHD diagnosis a few weeks ago, I'm now more emphatic in my need for clear - and preferably written - instructions or reminders. Conversations are really dfificult for me, as my mind is always racing and making connections that distract me, unless I'm really interested in the topic.

That said, I have learned that my wife feels supported when I simply listen to her (or at least try). She doesn't expect me to come up with solutions; she just wants to be heard. This was a revalation to me - the fact that people don't necessarily want you to help them solve their problems. 

I hope this is useful.

• This was a revalation to me - the fact that people don't necessarily want you to help them solve their problems. 

Good point.

Reply Children
No Data