Making staff aware and to be patient

Hello. My brother is Autistic and has a few other conditions that mean it can be hard for him to understand instructions. I took him to a hospital appointment where he was having his eye looked at and had to look up, down, to the side etc and he got confused. He told me this after as I wasn't invited in to the consultant room to assist or reassure if needed.

Is there a subtle way to let healthcare workers know he has a condition that requires a bit of patience. He was very short with my brother that made him frustrated as he can't help it if he's struggling. I know there are sunflower lanyards available but I feel these aren't very subtle. If that's all there is, then I can get him one as he agrees he wants to let people know at the doctors or hospital but wanted something less obvious.

Open to suggestions and thank you for your time. 

Parents
  • If this was NHS there is mandatory training about how to treat patients who are neurodivergent or have learning difficulties that all staff should have done by now…... The best thing to do if you don’t want to use the sunflower lanyard is ask for it to be added to the electronic record that he may need support so it shows up on the screen, some hospitals now have a health “passport” for people who may need extra assistance which lays out what will be helpful for the patient.  Or ask that the secretary adds a note to the appointment to allow you in the room (although sometimes this isn’t possible in X-ray areas or sterile areas) Or you ask to go in the room when he’s called. I have a lot of people ask me if they can come in when I call patients to appointments, usually with hard of hearing elderly relatives. 

• I know they should have done their Oliver Mcgowan training but I'm not sure there are there is anything on his electronic record for them to see. I've printed off a health passport which we can fill out and I will be more aware in asking them if I can chaperone him. I had just had some bad news and wasn't thinking clearly. I thought after this that I need to make them aware if I'm not there, or he has to go to A&E for example. Thank you for your help GuybrushThreepwood.

• I know they should have done their Oliver Mcgowan training but I'm not sure there are there is anything on his electronic record for them to see. I've printed off a health passport which we can fill out and I will be more aware in asking them if I can chaperone him. I had just had some bad news and wasn't thinking clearly. I thought after this that I need to make them aware if I'm not there, or he has to go to A&E for example. Thank you for your help GuybrushThreepwood.

Children
No Data