Take part: tips for talking to a child about their diagnosis

Hello everyone! 

We would like your help to create a series of practical tips about how to talk to a child about their autism diagnosis. We’re looking for wisdom from parents and carers who have told a child about their diagnosis, and from autistic people who either remember how they were told as a child or can share general tips about how to approach this. 

Could you share your insights based on how you told your child about their diagnosis or talked to them about it after their diagnosis, or how you were told or talked to as a child about your own diagnosis? What worked well and what didn't? What advice would you give to parents and carers now? Are there any principles you think they could follow? Any ‘Do’s and Don’ts’ or things to consider? 

You can send your tips by replying to this post or submit them anonymously by emailing stories@nas.org.uk. We will use short quotes from the tips we receive on our website and social media channels to share your wisdom with others in our community. 

(To see an example of what the series may look like, here are tips about Halloween shared by our community: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cy5TI2sOX49/?igsh=ZnRkeGRpMWx4YXhr ) 

Please remember this Community forum is public, so don’t post personal or identifying details. This includes, but is not limited to, full names, addresses, contact details, social media, or photographs of yourself. 

We look forward to reading your tips! 

The Content Team 

Parents
  • Dear "The Content Team,"

I hope you are being paid overtime at the moment [disambiguation - that's a joke, I presume you are all volunteers]  working out how to get a defibrillator attached to the forum [disambiguation - that's a joke to highlight how 'unbeating' the forum is at the moment.]

Member-generated content and injected content isn't really here.  Feels dead on its feet.

Generally, I get the sense that people are feeling less secure and more reluctant to share in the forum at the moment, for various reasons.

Perhaps an update on the plans and/or programme for implementation of the "upgraded" forum platform would generate some 'hope' and some interest from the members?

Assuring you of my best intentions at all times.

Kind regards

Number

[NB This is posted a second time due to a glitch in the matrix.]

• Dear "The Content Team,"

I hope you are being paid overtime at the moment [disambiguation - that's a joke, I presume you are all volunteers]  working out how to get a defibrillator attached to the forum [disambiguation - that's a joke to highlight how 'unbeating' the forum is at the moment.]

Member-generated content and injected content isn't really here.  Feels dead on its feet.

Generally, I get the sense that people are feeling less secure and more reluctant to share in the forum at the moment, for various reasons.

Perhaps an update on the plans and/or programme for implementation of the "upgraded" forum platform would generate some 'hope' and some interest from the members?

Assuring you of my best intentions at all times.

Kind regards

Number

[NB This is posted a second time due to a glitch in the matrix.]

Children
No Data