Situational Mutism

Hello, I have been reading up on Situational Mutism (once called Selective Mutism). Much like when I first heard about Social Anxiety and Autism I am seeing a lot I can relate to in the description of this condition. I was often called "painfully shy" but often it wasn't just that. Sometimes I don't want to talk as an Introvert. Other times I want to but due to the people, place, situation, stresses and other factors I physically feel like I can't. Not just feeling a wee bit unable due to shyness. Although that happens also at times. I have been like this my whole life. I've never been the free flow chatty type thats for sure. Does anyone relate or know more about this?       

Parents
  • Hi Pax,

I can relate to this, I have an 18 year old who has selected mutism, will not speak when in the company of people they don't know which can be hard when going to college as they don't speak up in class, luckily the college they go to have helped a lot by placing them with friends on a table and they speak up, the tutor does not asked direct questions to them. It gets worse when they have a meltdown and won't speak to anyone even us so they go to their bedroom which is the safe space for them and we wait it out till they are ready to speak to us. It is heartbreaking but we have learnt to let them come to us when they are ready

• Hi Pax,

I can relate to this, I have an 18 year old who has selected mutism, will not speak when in the company of people they don't know which can be hard when going to college as they don't speak up in class, luckily the college they go to have helped a lot by placing them with friends on a table and they speak up, the tutor does not asked direct questions to them. It gets worse when they have a meltdown and won't speak to anyone even us so they go to their bedroom which is the safe space for them and we wait it out till they are ready to speak to us. It is heartbreaking but we have learnt to let them come to us when they are ready

Children
No Data