Does anyone take Elvanse on here?

Hi as a person with ASD I also have ADHD and my shrink has changed my medication from concerta to elvanse I started today and I feel really weird I’m wide awake and my heart feels weird. Just want to know anyone else’s experiences on being on this medication really. Hope it works better than concerta but worried about sleeping at nights now. 

Parents
  • Hi Rach91, nurse here and friend of someone with ADHD on elvanse.  It is likely that you'll experience more intense side effects when you start taking them i.e. high heart rate, irritability, shaking, increased anxiety. This is normal when starting most types of medication and should settle in 2-3 weeks as your body adjusts.  Feeling a bit weird and being wide awake are really common side effects and also the ones that tend to unsettle people the most - you could speak to your doctor about dose adjustment if you're still finding the side effects too intense after 2-3 weeks (they might lower your dose a bit and increase it more slowly, if you need this). Elvanse 70mg is the typical dose for adults with ADHD without any other significant medical issues however it can be decreased. As you are also autistic, you may feel the side effects of medications more intensely than a neurotypical person (I have ASD and I really struggle with meds, the side effects usually make me want to stop) so you may just need started with a slightly smaller dose, which could be increased up to 70mg overtime if tolerated. 

Also, some of the side effects you're experiencing could be exacerbated by dehydration (elvanse causes this) or lack of appetite (again, elvanse can cause this).  I would advise taking good care of your body in general by sticking to several small plain meals a day and make sure you're drinking plenty.  Sucking on hard boiled sweets or chewing chewing gum can help manage dry mouth and make sure you avoid any recreational substances, such as alcohol, as this will exacerbate the side effects of the meds. 

Hope some of this helps! 

Emma

• Hi Rach91, nurse here and friend of someone with ADHD on elvanse.  It is likely that you'll experience more intense side effects when you start taking them i.e. high heart rate, irritability, shaking, increased anxiety. This is normal when starting most types of medication and should settle in 2-3 weeks as your body adjusts.  Feeling a bit weird and being wide awake are really common side effects and also the ones that tend to unsettle people the most - you could speak to your doctor about dose adjustment if you're still finding the side effects too intense after 2-3 weeks (they might lower your dose a bit and increase it more slowly, if you need this). Elvanse 70mg is the typical dose for adults with ADHD without any other significant medical issues however it can be decreased. As you are also autistic, you may feel the side effects of medications more intensely than a neurotypical person (I have ASD and I really struggle with meds, the side effects usually make me want to stop) so you may just need started with a slightly smaller dose, which could be increased up to 70mg overtime if tolerated. 

Also, some of the side effects you're experiencing could be exacerbated by dehydration (elvanse causes this) or lack of appetite (again, elvanse can cause this).  I would advise taking good care of your body in general by sticking to several small plain meals a day and make sure you're drinking plenty.  Sucking on hard boiled sweets or chewing chewing gum can help manage dry mouth and make sure you avoid any recreational substances, such as alcohol, as this will exacerbate the side effects of the meds. 

Hope some of this helps! 

Emma

Children
No Data