Feeling confused and lost after Autism diagnosis

I’ve always struggled in life with certain aspects but found coping mechanisms to get round the problems and the various mental health issues I developed. But having recently been diagnosed with Autism at the age of 43, following my 16yr old son's diagnosis 8 months ago; I thought that now I had a cause / label for why I am the way I am it would be clear / easier and I could better understand myself; but now I feel more confused than before and notice things more and feel anger and frustration, I also don’t want to use it as an excuse. It that normal?  

Parents
  • Did getting the piece of paper make you any different to the day before receiving it?

You have lived and survived for 43 years without the diagnosis.  Yes life has probably been hard, but it is for all of us that are diagnosed later in life.  But you already have your coping mechanisms.  Why change lots of things when it doesn't benefit you?  I have mentioned to a few people now, a diagnosis is a piece of paper, nothing more.  You are still you, if you had challenges on the day before it, you will still have the same challenges the day after it.  It gives you some extra options, mainly in relation to work and gives you a big stick to legally beat employers with when they misbehave.  Besides that, it's a piece of paper that is largely unhelpful and seems to bring many people more anxiety than when they didn't know. ;)

• Did getting the piece of paper make you any different to the day before receiving it?

You have lived and survived for 43 years without the diagnosis.  Yes life has probably been hard, but it is for all of us that are diagnosed later in life.  But you already have your coping mechanisms.  Why change lots of things when it doesn't benefit you?  I have mentioned to a few people now, a diagnosis is a piece of paper, nothing more.  You are still you, if you had challenges on the day before it, you will still have the same challenges the day after it.  It gives you some extra options, mainly in relation to work and gives you a big stick to legally beat employers with when they misbehave.  Besides that, it's a piece of paper that is largely unhelpful and seems to bring many people more anxiety than when they didn't know. ;)

Children
No Data