I just want a diagnosis

I have now been trying for close to 2 years to get a diagnosis of being on the spectrum. I spoke to a Dr for referral over the phone and was declined the assessment process for lack of evidence. I wasn’t surprised since the call with the Dr lasted about 3 minutes. I followed this up with my GP and he tried to palm me off with recommending speaking to a psychologist about my anxiety issues because he “doubted it was Autism because you have very good eye contact”. Even those he was condescending I pushed for a referral and got one. Eventually the Adult Autism Team got in contact to fill out a pre screening assessment (which I don’t feel was very in depth) and I have now been declined to progress any further despite me having a plethora of issues. I’m really starting to feel extremely low and frustrated I’m not being heard. It’s a lot to deal with right now as I’ve just lost my father on Christmas Eve. Is there anywhere I can appeal their decision? Or is there anyone I can turn to to try get a diagnosis because I really struggle work wise and holding down a job and for the last few years have became a full time parent/houseperson instead as my partner understands my struggles with working. 

I have 3 siblings who are all diagnosed with ASD. And I myself have been diagnosed with Dyslexia and Dyspraxia at age 19. I am now 30 and struggling more internally than I ever have. My 7yo daughter has traits of possible ASD and ADHD. And my 3yo daughter is ongoing for the ASD assessment just now. 

Parents
  • Try a different GP, don't give up. I got my assessment referral fro mGp At Hand - online GP, maybe you can switch to them.

At the same time, you seem like you are fairly confident you have the diagnosis. Ask yourself, why do you need an official paper? There's a good chance it would be enough for you to simply accept it, and see what you can learn about yourself from the new framework. I went through this, and when I got an official diagnosis a year after accepting and internalising it all - the paper made basically zero difference to my life.

• Try a different GP, don't give up. I got my assessment referral fro mGp At Hand - online GP, maybe you can switch to them.

At the same time, you seem like you are fairly confident you have the diagnosis. Ask yourself, why do you need an official paper? There's a good chance it would be enough for you to simply accept it, and see what you can learn about yourself from the new framework. I went through this, and when I got an official diagnosis a year after accepting and internalising it all - the paper made basically zero difference to my life.

Children
No Data